Re-Using Caulking Tubes

As Well As Construction Adhesives, Etc... Forget About Taping The End Or Using Any Tip That Might Come With The Tube, Also Don't Use A Nail In The End Trick Either, Using ANY Of These Methods Are Almost SURE To Result In A Clogged Caulking Tube Tip.... ..Instead, After You Are Done, Squirt Out A Blob Of Caulking/Glue & Cover The TIP Of The Tube With This Blob & Let Dry. Next Time You Want To Use The Tube, Just Pull Off The Hardened Blob On The Tip & You Can Re-Use The Tube Like You Hoped To. -
On Jan 27, 9:44 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (spaceman) wrote:

I agree.
I've been doing that for years and it works like a charm.
Also for silicone which seems to harden in the tip no matter what you do I've found sending a drill bit through the harden stuff into the the usable stuff unplugs it quite nicely.
Your drill bit will be covered with silicone afterwards but drilling a hole into wood removes it.
The other quick and dirty method is to slit the nozzle in two , remove the plug and then take a few wraps of electrical tape around the nozzle.
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:44:48 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (spaceman) wrote:

imho:
For me that glob always managed to rub up against myself, tools, wall, or my clothing. So for a buck I picked up two caulk nozzle caps. They work very well. As for construction adheasive, I clean off any eposed glue and put in a large nail. Any exposed glue, even that glob manages to harden and become very permenant.
Now if I don't plan to reuse the tube soon, I then evaluate chucking it.
tom @ www.YourMoneySavingTips.com
How about wrapping the tip of the tube with masking tape in manner that permits caulk to escape? Then pump some out and squeeze the tape together. No mess.
(spaceman)

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 02:06:29 GMT, "New & Improved - N/F John"

Understand, but so far the cheap caps seem to work best for me with basic caulk.
tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

I screw in a red (large size) wire nut from my box of electrical supplies. The caulk in the spout stays flexible until the entire tube fails a few months after opening.
JimRd wrote:

spout and put a rubber band on to hold it, then use several layers of plastic wrap held with a rubber band on the rear end of the tube and it won't fail in a couple of months. Standard house caulks last 2-3 years with several intervening uses during that period.