Rat Trap

Have a rat that has tunneled under my storage building. Would anyone know what type bait (rat food) to put on rat trap. Man I hate rats - though of hot dog or bologna. Appreciate any replies. Thanks Tom
snipped-for-privacy@midsouth.rr.com says... :) Have a rat that has tunneled under my storage building. Would anyone know :) what type bait (rat food) to put on rat trap. Man I hate rats - though of :) hot dog or bologna. Appreciate any replies. Thanks Tom :) :) :) Anything you eat should work for the trap...peanut butter is a good choice.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

Used peanut butter on mouse traps and had a serious mouse population under control in about a week.
Not a mouse in sight now!
Might do the same for rats.

A mouse trap WILL NOT catch Rats. You MUST use a RAT TRAP !!!

As bright as a burned out light bulb, aren't you?
Duh. He didn't recommend using a mouse trap, Einstein. He recommended using peanut butter as bait on rat traps since it works so well on mouse traps.
Hound Dog is correct - peanut butter works extremely well. Rodents love the taste of it, plus it is difficult for them to steal the sticky peanut butter without setting off the trap.
The only downside is the fact that the peanut butter may attract ants. You could acquire these new pest this way, plus the ants will slowly steal the bait.
Don't forget poisons such as Decon, which are generally very effective.
If you feel that rats will be a continual problem, then consider electrocuting them with the Rat Zapper, which costs about $39 and is widely available in retail outlets these days. It will kill rats, mice, chipmunks, etc.
Good luck, Gideon
================== Hound Dog wrote in message ...

Used peanut butter on mouse traps and had a serious mouse population under control in about a week.
Not a mouse in sight now!
Might do the same for rats.
Thanks for posting the info about the Rat Zapper. Sounds like a perfect solution. Will order one today. Des

Try local retailers before ordering a "Rat Zapper." Many mail order outfits charge up to twice the prevailing price at retail stores.
I work with a guy who uses a Rat Zapper, he swears by it.
If you use conventional traps, bait but do not set for 2 or 3 nights. This technique luls the rat in a false sense of "oh boy , another free meal"
Works every time! :)
Bob