Rat problem

I don't know if this is a home repair problem or not but we've had Rats in our basement for a while now. I managed to trap and kill a couple but I'm sure there are more around. I don't want to use poison cause I have a dog . I've been using the conventional Rat Trap type of spring trap but the buggers seem to be able to eat the bait right off the trap without triggering it sometimes. I need this problem gone before it gets out of hand. Angus

Reply to
Angus

In article , snipped-for-privacy@allstream.net says... :) I don't want to use poison cause I have a dog . I've been using the :) conventional Rat Trap type of spring trap but the buggers seem to be able to :) eat the bait right off the trap without triggering it sometimes. I need :) this problem gone before it gets out of hand. :) Angus :) If you are not using bait because of the dog you can get bait stations that secure the bait inside so the pets can't get to it. If you are using peanut butter as a bait in the basement setting you may have the large outdoor roaches (aka palmetto bugs, water bugs) eating the peanut butter.

Reply to
Lar

I suggest you farm out the dog for a week or two and get serious about those rats.

The other solution, and maybe better, is to call in the pro. They know what works well in your part of the country, time of year etc. They can also inspect and advice you about other actions such as closing off access or removing food sources, to keep them out.

Frankly I would go for the pro.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

A number of years ago, rats made their way into our home. Since it was the first time I had dealt with rodents, I did not realize they were here at all. When I did, I picked up a HavAHeart (yeah, I was much more kinder and gentler back then). This went on for a few weeks.

After catching and releasing the 3rd one, I decided there might be a problem (I released them a few miles away). So, I picked the good ole Victor snap traps -- baited them with Peanut Butter and put them out. After clearing the 70th dead rat from the trap I called a family friend who happens to be a professional exterminator.

He used a variety of bait blocks that I *THINK* is only available to the pros. We put them in the basement (dogs cannot access this area) and a couple of select holes outdoors. He left the bucket with those that remained and I just set them on the basement floor, open.

It's been over 5 years now and wouldn't you know it -- I just found another old rat carcass down there that I missed. All told, we killed close to 100 of the things in the end. My 3 dogs all survived just fine -- one chewed a little bait off when we were setting it out but not enough to get sick. The antidote is commonly vitamin K for this particular bait.

The moral of the story: Don't mess around with this one; they already outnumber you, probably 10 to 1 or more. Use the bait, use bait rigs that prevent animals from getting to them, and/or use a professional exterminator to get the job done.

James

Reply to
JNJ

Get some cats.

Reply to
Kathy

If you know you have rats, the problem has likely already gotten out of hand. For every rat you see, there are plenty more behind that one that you *don't* see. And boy, can they do damage. Rats got in between the walls of a friend's townhouse and did a whole lot of chewing on the wiring, giving her a big fat repair bill. Just a couple of little ol' field mice decided to take up housekeeping under my dishwasher and did a number on both the wiring and the hoses. They also chewed right thru the plaster wall that the dishwasher backs up to.

For the mice, I set spring traps, got rid of the mice, and still set traps every couple of months. Got rid of all the food in the kitchen cabinets for awhile too so there was no food to attract them.

The friend with the rats called in the professionals, and for rats, that's what I'd do if it ever happened to me. I would think rats could just do too much damage too quickly to fool around with. With whatever they're going to use, the professional can likely tell you if maybe you should send the dog on vacation to some friends or relatives for a bit til the problem is resolved.

Good luck!

Cindy

Reply to
Countdown to 55

Have a good look to try to find any holes they use to enter. Plug the holes, patch with wood, or fill with Touch N Seal, or Great Stuff expanding foam. The critters don't like the chemicals in the foam, and will leave it alone. So I'm told...

I liked the one about farm out the dog for a week and get serious. Include pie pans of glycol in your strategy.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Michael Baugh

You've been told wrong! They can go through Great Stuff in a hole through a

12 inch wall in 15 minutes. Stood by and saw it with my own eyes. That's when the poison went out!!

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

KILL FILE THIS MONVSESIEN

Reply to
mark Ransley

Cats Dry mix of concrete and oatmeal, they eat, get thirsty and harden.

5 gallon bucket half filled with water with a ramp allowing rat access. They fall in and drown if they have no other water source. Very effective. Poison, but the dog likes it just as much. If the dog eats some, it's easily countered with Vitamin K12 from the vet. Cats.

MH

Reply to
MSH

Thanks a million for the real world wisdom.

I'm obviously misteakin. (spelling air intenshunal)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Great stuff alone won't stop rodents. If you really want to stop them, fill the hole with steel wool, then fill the hole with Great Stuff. The can't/won't chew through the metal.

Reply to
HeatMan

I know this is a late reply, but I have a few things to add. If you have a chronic rat problem, chances are pretty good you'll need a professioanl. The most important thing you need to know is that there are differnt kinds of professionals.

We first called an exterminator/pest control company (Terminix). All they did was put out traps and pick up the carcasses. The problem didn't go away until they finally referred us to a company called Proof It, also in the "Pest Control" area of the yellow pages, that specializes in "animal exclusion, cleansing, and sanitation." These guys were not cheap and must be making a bundle an hour, but the guy that came out found every hole in the roof, attic, and crawl space, and sealed it up nice and neat--nothing ugly or even obvious. They also removed all the NASTY insulation that had been soaked with rat urine and a whole bunch of carcasses that were the result of poisoning. (Besides the pet/child health risk, I don't recommend poisoning--the previous owners of our house did that and there were putrid smells coming from our bedroom wall where the rats scurried back and forth.)

The problem's been away for well over a year. I didn't want to buy our house because it smelled so bad when we looked at it, but now that we've conquered the rat problem, it's in great shape. Good luck!

Mary

Reply to
soma_mom