RANT: Do NOT buy a Whirlpool water heater

3-4 yrs ago I bought a Whirlpool water heater. So far, the control panel has failed 4 F'N TIMES! Each time, I've had to call their service center, get the part ordered under warranty, then wait 2-3 days for shipment. ALL the while my family is without hot water.
Tonight, I "talked" to (ok, yelled at) an young innocent Indian man who calmly took my order and demand for immediate shipment (which means Saturday at the earliest, maybe Monday).
The freakin' point is that FOUR FAILURES of the SAME PART in 3-4 yrs is just NOT ACCEPTABLE. DO NOT buy their product.
The water heater is manufactured by Johnston Water Heater Company in Johnson City, Tennessee, USA. I expect more.
I'm going to demand that they supply a standby replacement part so my family isn't without hot water while they ship.
-Zz
More RANT:
The last time I went through this (maybe 8-10 months ago?), I was able to navigate my way to the product manuals, identify eroor codes, &tc., without problem.
THIS time, NOT so. It's totally obfuscated. Can't find product models, manuals, &tc., at least no easily.
SHAME on you, Whirlpool. You;ve lost a consumer and gained an enemy here.
-Zz

Keep in mind that there is only one or two manufacturer's of water tank heaters. They just slap another label on it. Under warranty, you're covered. Put a ladder in the bathroom with a large watering can and heat your water over the stove for showering.

Four, IIRC. Furthermore, Whirlpool doesn't make water heaters as you noted. Lowes licenses the name as their exclusive brand. Not that it makes any difference to the OP.
what part is failing?
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 08:56:04 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"
The replacement part they've sent me is the "control panel". It's the electronic panel that sits out front, and includes the temp control knob, the starter button, &tc. The influent gas line goes into it, and there's several other wires and tubes that emit from it to the base of the tank.
It's almost noon here and I still haven't got the part yet.
-Zz

== LOL...Demand eh? I'm sure that will help. I would demand that all of my employees NOT sell you anything if I was in charge. If there is a problem, then quiet discourse will straighten it out over demands any day. ==
Zz Yzx wrote:

Should have read this Forum: http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?4362-Whirlpool-Flame-Lock-water-heaters-reviews-troubleshooting-repair-and-support .
--- ---
Whirlpool........ The Poor Mans Water heater......
1. Their AIR INTAKE screen is too small, and over time it clogs up with lint, dust , and hair..
You must somehow clean the lint off from the bottom of the unit every 3 months or
it will not get enough air to operate correctly....The air intake screen is TOO SMALL..
2. you cannot buy parts that will fix this "built in design flaw" once and for all.
3. It sucks up lint like a vacuum sweeper, and then gets starved for air..,
install Whirlpool in a dusty, linty laundry room and it will certainly fail.
4. Their new "thermal fuse design" is no improvement at all , it overheats
and burns out too. If their is any downdraft that happens
when your furnace comes on it can kill this fuse. They have actually made the problem worse....imho
--- ---

the fine screen is likely a safety feature to prevent gasoline vapors from exploding