RANT: About Ray-O-Vac batteries!

My wife still has her ROV flashlight she got when she was a brownie. My daughter used it on her first GS camping trip, hopefully so will her daughter. We are talking over 40 years here.I have one that is nearly as old that I keep in my night stand.
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

All my flash lights are LED now. Coupe at cabin, condo, house and in each car glove box. I always try to buy industrial grade batteries.

Except in my car. That 5 D-cell maglight also can double as a weapon.

I always though an odd number of batteries was a stupid idea (unless it's one)?! I have the 4-cell Mag.
bob_v

A single-size lug wrench is lighter and faster, and it won't break when ya split a skull.
AQ
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:38:11 -0500, Aloysius Q Roger-YoMama

Yeah but the flashlight is a big help for finding all the teeth afterwards.

It might be easier to explain having a flashlight in one's car. Just have to remember to wipe off the blood.
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:38:11 -0500, Aloysius Q Roger-YoMama

on 8/21/2009 10:38 AM (ET) Aloysius Q Roger-YoMama wrote the following:

The 5 cell MagLite, being thick aluminum, will not break. That is why they are the choice of police officers.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

looks and is perceived too much like a club. Scares and offends the populace.
-- aem sends...
Flashlight scares people, but the semi automatic pistol with high capacity magazine is just fine? I find that astounding.
I was chatting with an old man, in the hallway of my church, a couple weeks ago. He mentioned my pocket full of pens. I replied that not all are pens, one's a thermostat screw driver, and one's a utility knife. As I pulled it out, I saw his eyes grow wide. He probably doesn't even own a knife for the kitchen.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Okay, scares and offends the underemployed inner-city preachers who are the self-appointed spokesmen for the populace? The underclass isn't too afraid that the cops are going to shoot them- they know there is publicity and paperwork attached to that. They are (justly, in some cities, sad to say), afraid of random beatings in dark corners and behind closed doors. Not as bad as 30-40 years ago, but it still goes on, and most have heard their parents talk about it. Most inner-city cops do not carry batons any more either, especially the high-tech ones. A shame, really, because with good training, they are very effective less-than-lethal weapons. Tasers seem to have replaced them in the tool kit.
-- aem sends...
Aloysius Q Roger-YoMama wrote:

wrench, unless you are standing next to a jacked up flat tire, not so much.
(I was just walkin' home, officer, mindin' my own business. I was even carrying a flashlight so people wouldn't run over me. This fellow just came up from behind and grabbed me- I'm not really sure just what happened then....)
Come to think of it, I haven't seen my 4-cell in awhile. Wonder where it is? Maglights were a lot cooler when they were not mass-market. They used to come in a cardboard box at the gun store, not a blister pack at Sam's Club.
-- aem sends...

you can get LED upgrades for the Maglights now;either 1 watt or 3 watt Luxeon LEDs.
Then when you whack someone,the lamp doesn't fail. B-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Stormin Mormon wrote:

The "Task Force" 3W LED flashlight kicks a Mag-Lite's ass anyway, unless you're talking about bulk and weight. I have both a 3-D Mag-Light and a 2-C Task Force and the TF is way brighter and has a more even beam pattern.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Stormin Mormon wrote:

This is the one that I have
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId"5285-50584-FT-NS-2C%203WATT&lpage=none
and it's very bright. I haven't seen the one you mention (yet) because I don't have a Lowe's nearby, but it might be better yet, who knows. Only downside that I have found with the one that I have is that it rattles (batteries fit loosely, end cap switch rattles) but that is only annoying because I use it as a bicycle headlight occasionally. Hey, it's way cheaper than the stuff you buy at a bike store and brighter too.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Seriously good stuff. I want one, but can't justify thirty bucks at the moment.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus