Radient Barrier Decking..

I live in west Texas. It is very hot here in the Summer and Summer goes from May to October or longer.

I'm going to have my roof replaced and I've been told I should use Radiant Barrier Decking because it will keep my attic cooler.

My question is: Is Radiant Barrier Decking worth the minor added expense? One roofer says it is and one roofer says it isn't. From what I've read, it is.

By the time the roof is done,I should have enough roof and will add enough soffit vents to ventilate the attic so I'm only concerned about the decking.

Reply to
JD

Everything I've seen says a radiant barrier is effective in reducing attic heat and worth the small amount of money.

Reply to
trader4

I live in Austin, and I believe the radiant barrier I installed has made a significant difference in my AC bills.

Reply to
CJT

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't alone in what I've read.

Reply to
JD

Austin gets as hot as it does here in Midland. Radiant barrier decking it is! Thanks!

Reply to
JD

I don't have it, wish I did. A friend had it installed and said it made quite a difference and certainly thought it worthwhile.

One thing I would do is put in a ridge vent though.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

Thats the kind of vent the roofer is installing.

Reply to
JD