What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

That is a good one.
jeff_wisnia wrote:

Having done that procedure the hard way, I must say that I am impressed.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

I've had two bugs ('57 & '63). Even doing it the hard way was easy.
HeyBub wrote:

Well, I was only 16 and didn't have much in the way of tools, and even less experience.
But I'd be damned if I was gonna pay someone to do it for me!
Jon

I had a '64 Karmann Ghia and converted it to 12V with a Chevy alternator. Left the generator in place for the drive. The Ghia had more room to mount the alternator on the shaft (yes, shaft to shaft) on the generator. The alternator shaft was drilled, left hand threaded, and spun onto the generator shaft and a bracket held the body in place.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Did you have to change the starter motor too?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I left the original starter and that sucker cranked fast no matter how cold it was. Bulbs were easy to swap out, but the wiper motor was not. A rheostat kept it under control though.
I paid $15 for the car, but had to spend $110 to rebuild the engine. Convertible, it was fun to drive in spite of the rust, no heat or defrost (rotted out) , clouded rear window.

Reminds me about VWs we had back in the early 70s. (3 bugs and one 'transporter'). We had converted the roof covered 'drive through' to a garage, by closing off the back end and installing a used garage door at the front. Before that a gale of wind used to blow through that covered area and actually blew an Al. storm door back against the siding leaving an imprint of the handle and smashing the door! All $15 of it! Temporarily replaced it with wooden door made from planks of board. Today that door is the top of a work table! At that time garage had only gravel/crushed stone on the floor; hard to kneel on! However and this is point of this 'Home repair' story; with the only two metric wrenches I had at the time, I could install a brand new muffler including the two chrome tail pipes and the clamps and gaskets for $21.50! IIRC correctly the most we ever paid for a VW (bug) was $2500 for a mint low mileage 1972. A private sale from a local ice-hockey player who said he couldn't drive a manual shift vehicle! Today that garage stores a vintage car and the rear part is now left over from being a store room for a now discontinued 30 year small business.
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:14:26 -0400, jeff_wisnia

I have never done it with the engine running but I have rolled fan belts on by getting them started around the pulley, holding them with a screwdriver handle (stick or whatever I could find) like the video and cranking the engine. I have put chain saw chains in that way too. Just wedge the stick between the guard and the started chain (around the motor sprocket) and pull the cord. Best to do that one with the spark plug wire off.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

After watching that video for the first time I came away thinking, that's impressive, but what about having to adjust the belt tension to suit the new belt? <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

These are "get you home" tricks. Don't expect that belt to last long. You fracture a lot of the reinforcing strands when you roll it on that way.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Ya, i've done literally hundreds of them that way (with the starter, not with it running) on the dam transverse engine GM xbodies in the 80's. Cut 'em off with a knife, measure them, roll the new ones on with the starter. Screw that trying to get to the PS pump and A/C compressor on those bastards.
"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message

OK, now let's see that done with a GM truck and a "serpentine" belt!
Bill wrote:

Probably not.....
But hwzabout this Guiness world record VW engine change?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKF6dcKjLJo

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Wow, I've seen it done in minutes, but nothing like that. When I sold the car, I really sold the engine. The guy that came for it had the engine out before I could get my tools to help him. Since the car was being scrapped, he cut lines rather than disconnect them.
I've heard stories about a mechanic that worked on a VW and did not get paid. He just went and repo'd the engine in the owner's driveway.

I am sure a person could do a complete engine swap in less than an hour, including shrouds. It only took me 45 minutes to get an engine out the first time I ever worked on a VW. The only hard thing is the one 17 mm bolt/nut that holds the starter and engine to the tranny. Rachet wrench makes it easy tho. Hank