Quick temporary repair for hole in wall

no need to tear a hole that large. Even if you go out to the studs, you still have the 'floating' section between.

Rather, use some 'paper' boards 1/2 inch thick by 2 to 4 inch wide. The paper is super easy to cut to length - use a matting knife. use four pieces to 'frame' the hole. Mark center lines along the length of the boards, then placed arrow heads across the CL, because when in the hole you can't see the boards anymore [when the BOARD is in the hole] Reach inside the hole hold the board with one hand, then sheet rock screw the boards to the inside of the hole through the surrounding drywall. Four places, completely frame the hole. Then even a poorly cut drywall plug will insert and fit over the frame, and screw that into place. What you end up with is a very strong contiguous strength drywall sheet that cannot crack out even as the wall flexes with age. I used this technique to 'pull' into place two running sheets in the ceiling that were causing me fits with both not lining up and thus cracking every month.

Reply to
Robert Macy

That reminds me of an old saying...

It's only temporary...unless it works.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Back before drywall screws were common and sheetrock was still nailed to the studs, one variation on the "wooden strip" method was as follows:

Put some wood glue on the face of the wooden strip and wrap a piece of string around it before slipping it into the wall. Keeping tension on the string to hold the wood in place, run the string through a hole in the center of the drywall patch. Wrap the string around a pencil and spin the pencil until it (and the patch) are flush with the wall.

Mud as much of the seams as possible and when it dries, cut the string to remove the pencil. Stuff the string into the hole and finish applying mud to the seams and the hole.

With the glue and the mud holding everything in place, the patch will be secure.

These days drywall screws take the place of the glue.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Push frayed plasterboard surface paper into the hole using any small tool then apply the filler around it.

Reply to
vincentverges

I have seen it repiared with Cable ties before. Just buycableties, then drill holes is both places that they attach to. slip both ends through and tighten. This is usually when there is no other options.

Reply to
IronmanAndrew

I have seen this one where they use cable ties to attach to the wall. Just drill some holes in both pieces and feed through. this allows for removal without any mudding ot real damage. BuyCableTies has always been a good reference for me.

Reply to
BuyCableTies