Questions on installing wood panelling with wainscot / trim

Hello all,
First, thanks for you all your help on my past questions. It has been invaluable. For all my needs, first I check the Google archives, then come here to ask all you guys.
I am thinking of installing oak/mahogany panelling in one of my rooms. The classy, floor-to-celing stuff with the wainscot / trim / moldings (don't know the term.)
I was looking at a friend's room that had it, and it got me thinking: when a piece of the vertical molding meets a piece of horizontal in the center, how is that miter accomplished? I didn't study it that closely, but it looks almost as if you would have to have a knife cut to match the molding and use that in a router. Or, is there some tool that allows you to cut a miter in the middle of a piece of molding?
There is probably a really obvious solution that I am missing, please let me know.
Thanks.
Ryan
I believe what you might be talking about is a method of mating two pieces of moldings without cutting both at 45 deg--*coping*. You cut only one piece on an angle, 45 deg or so, and then using a coping saw cut along the newly exposed edge. Trim back a bit as required to make a good fit. It takes a bit of practice but when done right you can't tell the difference between it and a mitered joint. MLD