Question: "This Old House" The Current Project

Page 2 of 3
That home owner (George Marby) is very unlikeable and a bit of a whiner. A TV guide listing of the show describes him as a Bio-Tech Bachelor. I wonder if there are any hamsters crawling around that house ....
Actually I think george is great! What show were you watching?
It sure isnt TOH with georges contemporary home...
Sir Topham Hatt posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Sounds like sewage to me... bio-tech
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don\'t know and I don\'t care...
snipped-for-privacy@home.net (Jack) wrote:

or no longer bother to watch the show!!

Actually, they are in touch with the PBS viewer base. The show is an example of why PBS has become irrelevant.
Sir Topham Hatt posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

So you are lactose intolerant ;~)
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don\'t know and I don\'t care...
Jack wrote:

My buddies relative was in one of the older projects before everything became gazillion dollar projects. He blew his budget because the featured stuff that is placed by the manufacturers is all high end. So he had to scale up other stuff to match.
Jack wrote:

I have the same proble with all of the renovation shows on HGTV, etc. My wife loves to watch them, and I've got to admin that they're kind of interesting, but watching a couple of hours of this stuff makes me feel like an utter failure.
After all, if you can't afford a $20,000 bathroom and a $50,000 kitchen, you're life has obviously been wasted!
Ian Pilcher snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

There is no "reality" on television. The medium turns everything it touches into entertainment, which usually means fantasy and bullshit.
Jack wrote:

The program producers get some products free (donated) or at a discount (so their products will be shown on TV), the owner has a budget and pays a lot of the cost.
TOH has often emphasized very large, expensive projects - remember when they rebuilt Tommy's brother's house from the ground up? The new one was really big. Some of that cost came from the insurance money (the house burned down), but given the differences between old and new, I'd say the new one was at least twice the insurance. Or the Vermont barn they did - no expense spared, really - or the pianist's house - same story. I think for many of these, the "renovation" budget is in the hundreds of thousands.
N.
Nancy1 wrote:

There was an early one, back when Bob Vila was the host, where the renovated an old farmhouse for a young couple. The last few episodes, you didn't see the homeowners any more, and at the end Bob sort of casually mentioned that they'd planned to spend $100,000 and it had been closer to $200,000. It came out in the paper later that the homeowners were really steamed about the whole situation, 100 grand is fair amount of money now, 15 years ago it was a LOT of money.
After that, it seemed like they emphasized sticking to the budget more. I haven't watched the show in years, so I can't comment on how they do it these days.
Brian
--
If televison\'s a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
won\'t shut up.
Default User wrote:

There were two others that got testy - the Salem house where the zoning board made the homeowner cry, and the London townhouse where they had to rebuild the newly installed steel roof structure due to some zoning code or other and the budget got blown to hell and back.
I think they must write into the contract that for the owner to get the discounts or freebies they have to smile for the camera.
RicodJour wrote:

I remember them both. In the case of the Salem house, a member of the heritage board referred to the woman homeowner - who was several months pregnant - as "waddling" into their town. I was sure someone was going to get punched out after that incident. Of course the solution the show had come up with to a rather serious parking problem was at best tricky and at worst potentially dangerous.
The London apartment was a more inexcusable case. A British contractor _should_ have known that there are severe restrictions as to what you can do to a listed heritage building like the one they were working on (probably class 2 - you can not alter the exterior of a class 1 building at all). One of these is that you can't substantially alter building profiles, but this designer decided "oh yeah, we can get away with not replicating the original Mansard style roof and just put up what amounts to a flat wall". Then to compound matters, nobody even bothered to wait for planning approval. You can bet there were law suits ready to fly on that one, particularly since one of the homeowners was a lawyer.
--
Brent McKee
My TV Blog -- http://childoftv.blogspot.com /
<often emphasized very large, expensive projects - remember when they rebuilt Tommy's brother's house from the ground up? The new one was really big. Some of that cost came from the insurance money (the house burned down), but given the differences between old and new, I'd say the new one was at least twice the insurance. Or the Vermont barn

Contractors percentage around here is often said to be about 1/3 of the total job cost, and had a friend with a major home fire insurance allowed that.
so dick silvas house literally burned down and tom waived the contractor fee or part of its 33% giving that back to his brother towards a nicer home. meanwhile dick got lots of donations, and got paid $ to rebuild his own home on tv.
TOH got a big show out of it.
win win for everyone and even dick silva got bit by the budget. they installed the radiant floor lines in the basement but no boiler, it was left for the future. there were other things like this.
frankly the big budget doesnt bug me, since its way more interesting than cnverting a garage into a bedroom
there are lots of DIY network shows like that....
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I agree mostly. However, I get tired of east coast/west coast/south. It was explained to me by the TOH e-mail responders a long time ago: they have to work where there is good weather in the winter, and/or where they can go home overnight. That means east coast (go home overnight) or west coast/south (good weather). I think they did do one house in Chicago, but can't remember for sure. It was a new kitchen for some family with new babies or something like that, where the kids were eating on the floor. Anyone remember that?
In any event, they won't ever come to Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Kansas, Missouri, etc. etc. etc.
And I really miss Steve Thomas and don't like the new dorky host at all. Ah, well. Things change.
N.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

They ought to change the name of the show to to "The Ultra-rich Remodel." None of their projects are practical any more.

I was thinking "Construction Projects of the Rich and Famous" or "This Gold House".

Ask This Old House is their practical program. TOH itself has become a "behind the scenes at Disneyland" show.
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Neill Massello) wrote:

Yes it is very informative. Especially in plumbing, where they cut open the piece and show how it works on the inside.
This week it was water heaters, and after pulling the old one out, they cut it open to show the insides and what they had been talking about.
I remember reading an article in the Wall Street Journal over ten years ago about how some of the projects had turned into mini disasters. Seems it took a lot longer than anyone would have thought and the homeowners wound up spending like 2X what they thought they would, even with all the discounted or free materials.