Question for Painters (colors)

I agree with you, but what pleases one person is not going to please the other. When I paint, I choose what I like. It sounds like the OP is the type that will not be satisfied no matter what. Some people are like that. I wish that is all I had to worry about in life was finding the exact "prefect" color. Anyone that is going to keep painting over and over has far too much time on their hands and far too much money.
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

A friend of mine, a professional painter, painted one client's dining room 8 times...next time she wanted a 'touch' more blue...and he shook her hand and said: "you're not going to make me crazy too!" and left.

Yes, some people are like that. Anal Retentive is the wording. Like the OP.
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Jeepers! Maybe I should have said, "it SEEMS like I paint a room over and over". Just kinda like an expression ya know. You've never been disappointed with a room color? You've never painted a room two or three times to get it right? And it's not like it's painted the same year. I just finished painting the kitchen. I painted it last year too. The new color is growing on me, but it will probably be painted again next year. I call it persistence.
-Felder
Thanks to those who responded with the actual paints they like.
I HAVE brought home many paint chips and I HAVE also bought quarts of paint to give them a test run on the walls. I also have taped paint chips to the wall for a few days. But really, it's not until you actually get the paint on the walls that you can see what you actually have. If I don't like it I may go to another shade similar. Either on the same chip or on one next to it. I do have a few rooms in my house that have turned out well using this method. But, I don't want to paint the whole house the same color.
I'm just picky about the color of my walls I guess. And I really don't mind painting.
Thanks again. -Felder
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

A nice neutral? That is a challenge, since you say they are too light, too dark, too green, etc. You might ask at a paint store for chips with tints that contain only umber/brown. An experienced paint mixer could probably very easily mix something within your preferences. Or, take a chip you think you like, look at it in daylight and at home under normal lighting. Compare it also to chips of similar darkness that are blue, green, pink. The contrasting tints would brink out the too-whatever in your chip. The tinting colors are very few, so if you want something with no red, or no green, it can be made. Furnishings in the room, along with lighting, can change color appearance by contrast, daylight color (cloudy or sunny) or by reflection.

Without red and green, you're going to have a rough time making any earth/brown tones. red + green = brown.

Wow. What a range of answers. I don't consider it a dumb question. I am color-challenged, too. One color I just painted a bedroom is Home Depot (Behr) Tuscan Beige. It is not very strong, but a nice color.
Lowes has a Waverly color called "Natural" which looks nice. It is a bit too deep for me, but my wife likes it.
Home Depot's Parisian Taupe is a nice color, too.
The poster's advice about going a couple of shades lighter is right on. Everything looks darker on the wall. Flat tends to look dark than eggshell, which looks darker than satin, etc.
No one can meet your request -- "neutral" means something different to each person. That's why there are so damn many choices.
Go to a paint store or 2 and talk to the guys mixing the paint. Every store I frequent has at least one guy with enough experience to steer you the right way.