Question about preparing textured wall for painting

Hi, I will be painting a bathroom that has a textured design at varying angles on the walls like this: ((((( and currently has a semi gloss paint finish. I would rather not use a deglosser as the room is not well ventilated. Is there a way or tool I can use to lightly sand the paint and get in the crevices of the texture so the new paint (also semi-gloss) will adhere properly? Thanks.

Reply to
tripsovercats

=BD and currently has a semi

add fans wash with TSP rinse twice, then prime well with oil based KIlZ, then paint normally.

Good time to add a exhaust fan if you dont already have one, vented to the outdoors.

high humidity leads to mold growth and paint peeling

Reply to
bob haller

On 5/12/2009 7:00 AM bob haller spake thus:

Emphasis on the "rinse twice". Make that three times. You don't want any TSP left on the wall or in any crevices, as it'll prevent the paint from sticking.

You might try using a not-too-stiff wire brush--carefully--to get into all those nooks and crannies. The idea is to try to knock as much of the gloss off the existing paint as possible, so the primer'll stick better.

Not a bad idea, that.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Thanks to both for your replies. Upon further investigation, I came across a product by Krud Kutter that looks pretty good and easy to use so I am going to give it a try:

If anyone has used this I'd be interested to hear feedback. I will try to post back with a review once the project is finished.

Reply to
tripsovercats

You don't need to prime a wall that is already painted. The wall needs to be clean and dry. Use favorite household cleaner to wash the wall - brush if needed over the texture - rinse and dry. The texture itself will give tooth for the new paint to adhere. There is an amazing amount of moisture, unseen, after showers. Run a fan and wipe the wall dry when ready to paint. Light sanding of trim and doors would be a good idea.

Reply to
norminn

Priming ends the chance of poor adhesion for any number of reasons, and peeling is way more likely in a bathroom.

it costs little and cave ooodles of grief later........

based on that its worth the added cost and hassle, which is minimal to begin with

Reply to
bob haller