question about laminate flooring install

We're looking at getting some Wilsonart Estate laminate flooring installed. I hadn't planned on installing it myself, so we got a couple of bids on product + installation. There's some conflicting info I can't figure out:
Bid A is telling me my existing baseboards, which aren't very thick at all (< 1/2" I think) will be fine. Bid B is telling me that I'll need new baseboards preferably 5/8" thick, and my current baseboards probably won't work out.
I'm trying to figure out which guy to believe... obviously I don't wanna pay for or DIY new baseboards if I don't have to. Thinking totally like a sceptic, I'd say Bid A may be taking a gamble installing with too-small of a gap, and Bid B is trying to get me to install fatty baseboards to make his install easier (assuming more gap allows for more slop).
But I really have no idea. Does a more precise install job produce a smaller gap? How much gap do I really need here?
The amount of gap if it a free floating type floor depends on how wide or long the room is. I can't remember exactly what the gap was in our 25x15 den but I think 5/8" which I covered up with 1/4 round along the baseboards. If you are handy with a saw and figuring numbers give it a shot on your own. If you are not used to kneeling for long periods though get ready. Your knees and thichs will be hurting.

installed.
and
pay