Question about Electrical Conversion: US-Australia

Hi, I have a U.S. mini rotary tool that uses an AC/DC adapter to operate. The input is 120V AC 60 Hz, and the output is 12V DC 500 mA.

Someone from Australia wants to know if this mini rotary tool will work with their Australian AC/DC adapter. I know Australia operates on 220V and 50 Hz, just like Europe.

So if this person's Australian AC/DC adapter outputs the necessary 12V DC

500 mA, regardless of its input, will it work with this U.S. mini rotary tool?

Thanks for any help!

Julie

Reply to
Julie P.

Yes, IFF it outputs the proper voltage. Only a digital PSU would have that range of input voltages, or a switch to change the Mians voltage. With DC you don't have to worry so much about frequency.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Yes. The output voltage and the wiring orientation (polarity) should match the tool.....generally speaking.center being( + )and outer being ( - ) In my experience I have seen some adapters that had inverted inner and outer polarity. make sure to check that also. Otherwise a DC current will turn a rotary tool in reverse, if there is nothing to keep it from turning at all such as Diodes.............if this happens you will be buying a new tool or repairing the one mentioned.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Thanks Pop for the help!

J.

Reply to
Julie P.

Hi, thanks for your help Muadib! I am not sure what wiring orientation means in this case. I don;t know much about electrical other than what I stated in my original post.. The rotary tool takes an AC/DC adapter. The plug end (with the prongs) plugs into a standard North American electrical outlet, and the other end (round cylindrical part) plugs into the rotary tool directly to operate the tool.

How do I check this?

Otherwise a DC current

Reply to
Julie P.

There are symbols on the side of the adapter usually. there will be a line pointing to the dot in the middle of a circle, and a line pointing to the circle itself, with lables for (+) and (-)

Kinda like that picture. I know it's blurry, but if you can get past that, it makes perfect sense.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Thanks so much Maudib, and thanks for posting that pic! Sorry for my late reply. I see what you mean now. My adapters are the same way. I guess you learn something new everyday. :)

Julie

Reply to
Julie P.

Glad to help.