Question about dishwasher hose.

Hi All, I was reading here a couple of days ago, and saw an answer from someone about water running back into dishwasher from disposer or sink. I think it was Edwin who said that the hose needs to be under the countertop. OK, I visualize that in my mind, but I'm not really sure what it means. Can somebody explain that to me? I do have a problem with water running back into my dishwasher. TIA and best to all of you during the holidays. This group has been a lifesaver to me and I appreciate all of you.
-- Cheri
Add pictures here
✖
Cheri wrote:

Hi, That means the discharge point is too low. Our dish washer discharge is not near the insinerator discharge. Away and above into sink dranin pipe via Y coupling.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 23, 12:48 pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

Cheri,
In some places an air gap is required to prevent backflow into the dishwasher. If an air gap is not required then the drain hose needs to be routed up to the underside of the countertop and then back down to the sink drain or the disposal (forming a loop). If the air gap or the loop is not present then you will probably have a backflow problem.
Add pictures here
✖
Eric9822 wrote in message ... On Dec 23, 12:48 pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

or
me
Cheri,
In some places an air gap is required to prevent backflow into the dishwasher. If an air gap is not required then the drain hose needs to be routed up to the underside of the countertop and then back down to the sink drain or the disposal (forming a loop). If the air gap or the loop is not present then you will probably have a backflow problem.
TY, I understand what you're saying.
Cheri
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 13:04:43 -0800 (PST), Eric9822

Cheri,
Think of the looking at the hose like a horse shoe shape (upside down). It is mounted via a strap to hold in place.
PICS ARE EASY..
http://www.appliance411.com/faq/DW-drain-no-gap.gif
Add pictures here
✖

My dishwasher drains to a basement washtub, unfortunately dishwasher couldnt go by sink its across the room. trust me the loop is necessary or the water will siphon from the machine
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 15:07:20 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Interesting, not a single manual for a DW I've read mentions draining to a basement. Seems every one does mention using the hose in a loop - with or without an air gap... an always mention the sink, adjacent.
I vote for the loop :)
Add pictures here
✖
I've seen this done in cases just as mentioned - where the DW isn't next to the sink. In these cases it is still necessary to have the hose routed up under the counter before dropping down to the basement or else the DW won't hold water. It would continue to drain if the hose were not held above the normal water level of the DW, much the way a washing machine drains if you drop the drain hose on the floor.

✖
Mark wrote:

Hi, Dish washer not near the sink? How inconvenient! Like keeping laundry washer and dryer far apart? How inconvenient!
Add pictures here
✖

our home built in 1950 has the sink base cabinet too narrow for a dishwasher. short of replacing the kitchen completely theres little we can do, but actually the dishwasher in its current location is very easy to use,''
eventually we will replace the kitchen but first we need a new furnace with air, i am sick of the twice a year lugging the window units
Add pictures here
✖

The DW pushes final rinse water through the loop, I'm not really concerned if it drains too a basement or the sink.
Proper mounting of the hose is of concern... we all want a loop:)
The downside of the loop will drain.
Add pictures here
✖