Question about Comfortglow gas heater from DESA Tech. Do you have one like these?

Hi.
I have an older model of this kind and I have no clue how much it would cost me to operate this thing during the winter.
I called a DESA technican who told me that if I run it at its maximum I would use 29.133 cubic foot per hour. A woman of my gas company wrote me that a cubic feet gas per hour costs in my area 0.27 cents.
Good grief, that would mean that I use USD 7.87 per hour when I operate this heater? Can this be?
I checked the information on the heater. It says nothing about ccf but BTU. It says that operated at maximum it the heater would use 30,000 BTU. But I have no clue what BTU means.
What do you say?
Leo
snipped-for-privacy@myway.com wrote:

Propane or Natural Gas? There's 90,000(=/-) BTU's in a gallon of propane. That's about 3 hours per gallon.

Hi Tom,
It is natural gas.
Leo
snipped-for-privacy@myway.com wrote in

That gas price looks suspicious. Find your gas bill and divide the number of therms used by the cost. That'll give you an estimate of the gas price on a per therm basis. It won't be quite right because there usually are fixed costs included on a bill. A therm is 100,000 BTUs or about 100 CF.
Is that enough info to help you do the math? Are you really paying ~27 $/therm? As a comparison I used 22 therms and paid $23 last month.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Thanks, Clark. I think that technican who gave me the gas price was a weirdo. I think your calculation is more real.
If my heater uses 300,000 BTU on maximum per hour (and I likely will not operate it on maximum all the time, probably only to heat up an area briefly), I used then three therms, I guess.
I have now to figure out how much a therm will cost me. Thanks, Clark, I know more than before. Have a good weekend.
Leo
snipped-for-privacy@myway.com wrote in

Looks like you're on track. Watch the decimal place though - I believe it should be 30,000 BTU/hr or ~1/3 a therm. That'd be about forty cents around here. The most I'd expect anywhere in the US would be about a buck, maybe a buck fifty for the highest gouging utility. :-)
--
---
there should be a "sig" here