Question about caulk cartridges

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the caulk in the tip of an opened cartridge from drying out/hardening?
Thanks!
Loren
I've heard about inserting a "common nail" head first into the tip of the cartridge leaving the sharp end of the nail exposed sufficiently so that you can pull it out when you want to use the caulk again. I've never tried it, but it seems like it would work.
Mark

LPV wrote:

Use a short piece of rubber hose. very snuge fit over end of chaulking tip. Plug one end of hose with Chauking, preferably silicone, slip other end of hose over chaulking cartridge tip. Will not work for ever, but for a while.
jerry

I have had luck with folding duct tape over the opening on caulk and Liquid Nails. ____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:25:28 -0600, "LPV"

Over night to a few days, duct tape on the tip end. A little longer I use a 4" screw - if it's drying caulk the screw will help pull out some dry stuff. Common nails or pieces of wire coat hangers, tend to rust.
Eventually, it dry's and hardens - trash.
LPV wrote:

I just usually use some plastic wrap and keep a large nail handy if that fails
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Insert a fat nail, long enough to reach all the way into the supply tube. As Mark said, leave enough nail sticking out so you can grab it easily. Then, cover with a few layers of plastic wrap and a couple of rubber bands. Store with the spout up.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Exactly, but don't forget to cover the large end with plastic wrap and a couple of rubber bands also. Depending on storage it will remain ok for a couple of years. I have used one tube off and on for over 3 years (a little here a little there and a little touch up paint).

The nail or deck screw allows you to pull out the hardening plug of caulk. Just grab it with your vise, and pull like crazy on the cartridge.
Bob

cartridge from drying out/hardening?
Thanks!
Loren <<<<<<
Yes, shove a large (#10 or if the tip on the cartridge is cut smaller, us a #8)
long (3" min) phillips head stainless steel sheet metal screw
into the cartridge.
The caulk willing slowly dry / cure (that's what caulk does) but you can either pull the screw out if caulk has not dried completely
If the dried caulk prevents pulling the screw, use a drill/driver to un-screw it.
Using staiinless will prevent rust stains in the caulk.
Save the screw for reuse.
cheers Bob
I use wire caps. I use the ones sized for 3 conductors. It screws right onto the top of the tube and provides a tight air tight seal. When you need it again, just unscrew the cap.
Thanks, everybody, for your great suggestions about how to seal an open cartridge.
After reading many of them, I had the all-to-familiar "why didn't I think of that" reaction.
Thanks again!
Loren
Insert a wet pipe stem cleaner. Works every time.