Quality of Harbor Freight and Chicago Electric tools

Page 4 of 4
In my experience, the drill bits were pure crap. The normal bits (like brad point, but without the brad points), broke with alarming frequency. The Forstner bits dulled very quickly.
Compared to a name brand, there's no comparison in quality on the drill bits.
Also had bad luck with their jigsaw blades.. pure crap.
I'm now of the mindset of the other poster.. you lose so much money off the crap that you buy there, that it's not worth the occasional good value.
The only item I was ever truly happy with was their heavy duty grinder stand. Their pliers/wrenches have poor tolerances.. it's just piss poor. I feel stupid for wasting about $200 there over the years. for basically a grinder stand and about 1/2 the pipe clamps held up ok (the other half stick or otherwise perform substandardly to the Ponys).
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:18:38 -0500, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

I followed (price) this hose reel for sometimes, last year I paid something like $19, it look and feel exactly like one selling for more than $40 plus elsewhere.
tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

I wasn't clear. I buy the clamps off the shelf in the store. Just won't order anything from them online. ALL my pipe clamps are HF - bought the 3/4" for $2.49 ea.

like any vendor, there are the good ones and the bad.
Porter Cable routers are among the best made. PC's detail sander seems in the running on the most useless tool thread.
Harbor Freight's 2 HP dust collector gets good reviews. their bench grinders, OTOH....
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote: ...

I think that particular rap is on the detail sander as a tool itself, not PC...
And, as noted, my wife uses one a fair amount and is quite pleased to have it..."different strokes..."

The two exceptions to this are the 4" angle grinder which can sometimes be found for as low as $12, and the 7x10" machinist's lathe which has sold for as little as $250 in the past and gets very good reviews from folks who seem to know what they are talking about. My angle grinder takes a licking and keeps on ticking. If it ever stops, it goes in the trash with few regrets.
LD

for
Ah the old argument, cheap v expensive tools. I'm in UK so no HF here but we have our equivalents and I assume that the same Chinese tool factory supplies our retailers. I have a number of cheap 4 1/2" angle grinders. They're great tools. Not as powerful as the top line stuff so I take a little longer on a job. That's not a problem for a hobbyist. I take the view that even top grade tools fail eventually. If you have spent all of your $ on one of those, then you are stuck. I have a few cheap grinders so when one fails I always have a replacement. I can also have them set up with different wheels for the same job. e.g. one for cutting, one for grinding. The other side of the argument is whether the tool will actually do the job. This is when cheap = nasty. When you need accuracy or you are relying on one tool, pay for quality. I carry good quality tools in my car so that I don't have to carry more than one of each. In the workshop, space is not so much of a premium so I may risk cheaper tools. It is not always the case that cheap = poor quality. Many Chinese tools are now very good indeed. When I was maintenance engineer in a sawmill, a local supplier sold spanner sets (6 - 19mm) for 2.99. That's 1/4" - 3/4" for about $3. In 5 years we never had a spanner fail and, believe me, they were used hard every day. We lost a few but who cares at that price. The difficulty is spotting quality in a tool. If anyone can tell me how to do that without reference to the brand name, please do so.
John
Have bought lots of stuff from HF and like it. Can't beat it for non-precesion tools like clamps, rulers, misc, etc. I needed a cheap router for some jobs that I only do a few times a month so picked one up for $49 and it has worked out great. Picked up a really nice drill press for $40 and it has been better than expected. If I were to use a router on a regular basis I would have got a good one and it would have cost me a couple of hundred bucks. So, as was said, you get what you pay for. Only you know "how much tool" you need. As far as waiting and spending all of your $$ to get a top quality tool is not always the wisest thing to do either. Use some common sense and you will be fine.

We use several HF / Central Machinery tools in our business and have found they are either go bad right away or they last a good while. We bought a Central Machinery demiliton rotary hammer last Wedsnday and have already put 8 hours on it. It has paid for itself twice already. $59.00 vs $349.00 for a name brand. We have several. nail and brad guns and have never had a problem with any of them. $19.99 for a 2" brad nailer !!!! I love it!!! I don't worry about theft near as much. You don't see any HF tools in a pawn shop.
AZCRAIG
www.azcraig.us Vintage Travel Trailer Restorations and Repairs