Quality of ceiling fans

I am looking at buying a few new ceiling fans. The ones currently installed in my home are mostly geared towards children and/or in general aren't the right fans for me.
What are the key items that one should look for in quality ceiling fans?
I am very picky on noise and wobble, vibration, hum, etc. I don't mind paying more for these items. I am willing to pay more to eliminate these items, but I've been many places - Lowe's, Home Depot, specialty stores, etc and been suggested fans from $80 to $800. One sales person says a $100 Monte Carlo is better than a $200 Casablanca. Another says a $150 AirFlow is better than a $150 Hampton Bay. I know everyone has an opinion and though, but what things can I look at for myself to find what would provide the smoothest, quietest operation? Its hard to compare this in a noisy showroom are in the middle of Home Depot.
Steve wrote:

There was a thread here regarding this exact topic last week.
My newsreader shows it started on Monday, 8/1/05, 7:22 PM (West Coast), by Peter.
Good luck, Bruce
Thanks for the info. Please forgive me starting a new thread, I did read that one. However, I guess my question isn't which manufacturer is the best, because frankly regardless of good or bad experiences everyone has a different perspective of whats good or bad for them. So I wanted to stay away from "which brand is best" and I was more looking for input on what one should look at regardless of brand names - are there are key operating specs to look for or avoid in a ceiling fan if one is very picky on wobble, hum, and noise. For example, fans come with all sizes of motors and I know a 215mm x 25mm motor is larger than a 172mm x 14mm motor - does a larger motor generally equate to smoother operation though? Same thing with RPMs, # of blades, plade pitch, etc - I understand these will impact airflow, but what's their impact on smoothness or noise?

If you can afford it your best is Casablanca. And you don't need to simply buy what the store has. They have numerous styles and can be configured whatever way you want them. Like more than a dozen different wood blades. Many different finishes. There are a couple places that sell them on the web.
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 17:53:33 +0000, Steve wrote:

Look back through the newsgroup a little. This question is covered (ad nauseum) about every other week...
Linux Registered User #327951