Q-Tipped Toilet...

Page 1 of 2
I have a CRANE brand toilet from the 1960's. The lid to the water tank has a hole in it (not sure why; it appears to be original).
A certain toddler has found that Q-Tips fit through the hole very nicely. I cleaned out as much of the mess as I could, but it seems that now the flush is "sluggish."
I used a coat hanger and was able to get some cotton out of the small holes under the rim, but still no full flush. Is there anything that would dissolve the cotton and/or paper muck?
--
NOTE: To reply, DELETE the obvious word in my e-mail address you need to
DELETE in order to reply.

has
holes
Thanks for the great suggestions, one and all.
What makes this toilet, um, "special" is the size of it. It's the smallest toilet I've seen. That is, the bowl is small. A regular sized toilet seat is too big for it. Makes a great potty-training toilet, minus the Q-tips.
Yes, they are the paper kind--they still make 'em.
That flush hole in the top might be what the hole in this one is.
As to the "artificial turds" as well as the "just you wait" comments...I won't even begin to get into the pickle incident...!
Thanks again!
(I think I'm going to have to remove the sucker and try cleaning it outdoors...I was trying to avoid that. I already took it out once to replace the wax ring. Yuck...)
--
NOTE: To reply, DELETE the obvious word in my e-mail address you need to
DELETE in order to reply.
I have a neighbor who, when her guest house was built, had small commodes, sinks and tubs custom made and installed in a "small bathroom" for her visiting grandchildren. Her grandkids thought it was special too.
RB
TeleTech wrote:

Opined as follows:
<< or try some draino... >>
If you mean Drano, this is a no-no for the glazed porcelain of the toilet. NaOH (sodium hydroxide) crystals are the main ingrediant in Drano and will permanently etch or remove the glaze and ruin the water flow of the comode. Commerscial toilet cleaners are always acidic for this reason. HTH
Joe

Good luck -- last time I used a Q-tip, it had a plastic handle, not the wrapped-paper handles they used to have. Ain't much gonna dissolve that.
If you have one of those plastic suckers stuck up there in the rim, it's time for a new throne.
Doug Miller wrote:

On the other hand, whatever will dissolve plastic (Acetone?) probably won't hurt the ceramic.
Aren't kids wonderful? :-) This is just the beginning. You just wait. :-) <evil Vincent Price horror movie laugh...>

has
holes
American Standard Cadet.

has
holes
Go to www.consumerreports.com, and pay for the shortest possible access to the site. Less than 10 bucks. They ran some tests on toilets - find the article and print it. They made artificial turds for testing purposes - typical engineers. Good article, though.

has
holes
If you're willing to pay $249, HD has an American Standard with 3" ports.

nicely.
Other than noise, is there some reason you never see "municipal" toilets in homes? The ones with the roaring water, and no tank?

tank
the
I think they have larger water pipes with higher pressure at certain points in the system. Get a toilet with a pressure flush valve from Sloan and you will have the same effect. Available from Gerber, Kohler and Crane for about $250. Watch out for the Gerber. Some people dislike the very high water level but it is extremely quiet.

small
would
need
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:48:17 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Those are pressure operated, and require a large supply line with good pressure. A day without recoil is like a day without sunshine!

in
Recoil from a toilet? What about muzzle flash?
This appears to be the most recent and thorough toilet testing report:
http://www.cuwcc.org/Uploads/product/MaP_Final_Report.pdf
It's a fascinating read. :) The Drake costs $229 and the Westminster costs $100.

water tank has

very nicely.

now the

small holes

would
I've never done this, but my suggestion would be to remove the toilet, take it outside and lay it on it's back. Then take the garden hose with a nozzle on it and blast water backwards through all the holes in the bowl. Hopefully, the q-tips will reappear in the tank.
Bob

has
Some toilets have a flush "handle" coming up through a hole in the center of the tank lid. Does this look like your tank lid?
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/lid-crane-4086m-bosmall.jpg

Welcome to parenthood! :)

Here's an idea. It'll take some work, but might be worth it if it saves you from having to buy another toilet.
Go to a music store that sells brass instruments. Purchase *two* (you will need both) cleaning snakes. Here's an example of what I'm referring to...
http://www.brookmays.com/prod_disp.asp?itemnum=SS1615
Horn players use these to clean out the tubing on their instruments. The ones for a trombone are the longest...about 3 feet long. Stretch them both out, overlap the ends of each one about 2 inches and wire them together. The idea is to end up with a cleaning snake about six feet long. This will be long enough (and thin enough) to snake through the water channel in the rim of the toilet.
Remove the tank from the bowl. If you've never done this before, here are some more detailed instructions...
http://www.toiletology.com/handle.shtml
Once you've removed the tank from the bowl, take the cleaning snake and fish it down the opening at the back of the bowl in such a way that it follows the path of the water channel in the rim of the bowl. With any luck, this will get the Q-Tips out from inside the rim. As a last resort, you could remove the bowl from the floor, take it into the yard and "help" this process along with water from a garden hose. Of course, you'll have to decide if it's worth your time to go to this much trouble. At this point, you may just want to say 'to hell with it' and get a new toilet.
Keep in mind, this may, or may not work. It's just an idea. I've never actually had to do this, but if I was faced with this situation, this is what I would try before committing to the purchase of a new toilet.
Again, this just an idea.
Good luck.
TeleTech wrote:>

When I find a "sluggish" toilet that has its rim jets clogged by blue tablets, I put a little liquid dish soap down the overflow tube before flushing. It will flush good a couple times, then more soap, more flushing. The soap should make the cotton slippery enough to flow thru or at least show itself to be removed. Beats a coat hanger by at least an hour.
I also have had good luck cleaning rim jets with a short nail set. Insert the nail set into the jet and a small wobble motion will break away glaze burrs and irregular deposits. __
Bill MrHandiman.com North Myrtle Beach,SC
I use a .22 caliber gun cleaning brush.

holes
tablets,
will