pvc to drain pipe connect problem

guys,
i removed my old vanity & installed a pedestal sink, i need to cut the metal drain because its too long, now the drain pipe has no thread, i dont know how to pu ta new thread on the drain pipe, is it possible for me to just connect a PVC P-TRAP directly into the metal drain pipe without making a thread? i badly need help here
thanx
:oops:
they sell rubber "boots" -fernco (sp?). basically, 2 hose clamps and a piece of rubberish material. simply slip it over pipe, then tighten the hose clamps. then you can do whatever with pvc

How long will this last?
I snaked out the sink drain in my childrens bath and busted through the metal pipe. I was wondering how to fix it myself.

yes!
i was thinking all night & it came to my mind about that rubber boots
thanks again
i was redoing the plumbing in my house in the basement bathroom. there was a date etched in the concrete of 1983. busted through the concrete floor. when i got to the drain pipe that was buried, there was one of those boots on it. so they at least last 20 years :D