putting a fabric on existing sump basin in ground.

Ok, someone screwed up. I put my sump basin in the basement floor, and used about 7 bags of 3/4 gravel in the pit (350 lbs worth). everything looks good. Then I realized I forgot to wrap the basin with fabric. Obviously during my haste and rush, I overlooked this, so I have 2 questions.
1) what harm will be done without the fabric? 2) Is there a way to put fabric on the existing pit?

Sump pits without fabric over 100 years old can work fine, it depends on your soil type. My pump and pit is 90 years old and flows fast. I have clay, its possible if you have sand it might be an issue, maybe contact a co that makes the pits or google the info. What you have may not be a mistake.

Really, so how long will mine take to silt up, its going on 92 years and flows like a river.
When I busted up my concrete, I had dirt till about 20" down, then the last 10" was sand. By the way I also hit water about 22" down. That was a nice sight to see. It looked like I had a built in swimming pool in my basement. I could keep an eye on the silt. I guess I could just line the inside of the basin with the fabric and put a few bricks on the bottom to hold it

Like Mr. Ransley, I've seen ones that have been in existence for decades with no fabric and no problems. If it won't work without fabric, how do you explain natural springs? I've seen those along the side of the road, where someone put a large clay crock or similar, with no bottom, in the ground with no bottom. Water slowly runs in and people took the water out into bottles to take home. No silt clogging up the works their either.
On 2/14/2011 11:50 AM, Mikepier wrote:

Don't worry about it.
If it ever seems like it's clogging simply poke a screwdriver through the holes and twist it around a bit.