Punctured drain pipe

Hi, while working in the yard, I inadvertently put a small 2 inch hole in one of those black corrugated drain pipes running about 6 inches below the surface.

I plugged the whole with a stone and put lots of smaller stones around it to prevent debris and sand entering and possibly clogging the pipe. Any other macabre possiblities that I should be concerened about or should I not worry too much? I wont know the effects of my little escapade till early next year when it rains cats and dogs (sacramento area).

The drain pipe runs about 4 feet away from the house next to a concrete walkway. I'm planning to plant stuff around that area so if the problem worsens later then my plants would suffer damage/uprooting when I attempt to fix it, which is something I'd like to avoid. Ideas, thoughts, concerns, opinions?

Reply to
FolsomGuy

I'd suggest a decent patch over the hole as otherwise you have a real entranceway for mud and silt which will eventually plug it up...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

When in your situation four or so years ago, I dug it out a few inches on all sides of the hole, cleaned and dried it thoroughly, and patched it with a piece cut from a 2-liter soda bottle and silicone. I don't know whether that was the best thing to do or not, but no problems to date. I'd definitely do more than you've done; too easy for rocks and dirt to shift and cause an eventual clog.

Reply to
Bo Williams

Better cover/patch it with something.

I've done the same thing and what I did was section cut from the same sized pipe-- about a foot long and half-round-- and just lay it over the hole then recover it with dirt.

Reply to
Savvy 1

Go buy a 'coupling', cut the drain where you punched the hole and re-join the two sections....

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Fine folks of the net, thanks for your responses. I did go Charlie's route and fixed it with a coupling.

Reply to
FolsomGuy