Pump out oil tank

I have to siphon out oil from a buried oil tank so that I can get rid of it. What is the easiest way to do this? Any suggestions? Thanks.

We had to decommission an old in-ground tank when selling our house. We called a local charity that provides discounted heating oil for "working poor" families. They came and pumped it out for us.
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 14:44:07 -0500, jtees4 wrote:

Call the garages, oil change places. A lot of them use waste oil heating in the winter and if they have the capability to pump it out of an underground tank they probably will.
I cut a hole and dipped it out with a 5 gallon bucket. Then used a mop on the rest.

I had this problem also but I was still using the old oil burner. I removed the return line and put it in a 55 gal drum...as the furnace was running it pumped (nearly all) the old into the drum in a relatively short time. I used the drum to feed the furnace until I replace it with a gas one.
I tried to find local charity, but none were interested. I posted a Cragslist ad, free oil if you pump it out yourself. Got about 20 responses. Should be gone in a day or 2. Craigslist really works.