Proper subplanel parameters.

Hi,

I'm remodeling my kitchen/hallway/powder room combination.

On the one hand, I just had a new 200amp service put in and a new

40circuit box installed and it's only half full. And it's also only 40ft away from the kitchen, on average.

But I still want a subpanel for the kitchen. My main rationale is neatness, It's an old house and there are several generations of ad hoc electrical improvements and I have literally tens of dead wires in the walls that go nowhere, there are wires from the 30's, 60's and

80's, etc. It is especially messy around the new box. I would have to have 10 or so more wires running all the way back to the box. So please, don't talk me out of doing a subpanel, I'm committed to doing it (I have additional reasons for doing it, too).

Here's what my kitchen will have:

  1. A dual fuel range (requiring 30amps for the oven)
  2. A heater/vent combination in the power room.
  3. Possibly an underfloor heating mat
  4. Microwave/convection oven/garbage disposal/toaster oven/tv/dvd/ outlets galore

Main question: How many amps should I have going into the subpanel?

And then there is something I don't get: does the subpanel have it's own main breaker or does it rely on the breaker that it comes off of in the main panel?

Many thank in advance,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

*A 50 amp sub-panel feed would suffice, but I would go with a 70 amp (#4 wire) to allow for future expansion. The breaker at the main panel is all that is needed, but there is nothing wrong with having a main in your sub-panel.
Reply to
John Grabowski

You can really get 85A out of #4 if you run wire in pipe but a cable like Romex (MC, or SER) is 70. You do not need a disconnect in the sub, the line side breaker on the feeder is sufficient. Just remember this is 4 wires (3 #4s and a #8 for the equipment grounding conductor) Use a separate grounding bus that you will have to buy.

Reply to
gfretwell
70 a sub can go on #6

#4 will get you a 100a sub.

Steve Barker

Bzzzz! No Thank you for playing our game

How did you get that?

310.15(B)(6) does not apply to sub panels and you can't use the 90c column of 310.16.
Reply to
gfretwell