Proper outlet orientation

Page 3 of 3

I've seen red receptacles in hospitals. I think they do that to indicate those connected to the emergency generator.

Mark Lloyd

That's correct, at least is exactly how we do it in the data centers. Orange, in this case for emergency power.

Yep it's amazing how much this subject repeats. And every time it get dead horse beaten.
This solves the problem. An outlet with one up and one down.
http://www.gulliblesucker.com

Is that supposed to have the grounds pointing toward each other (so both receptacles sort of make an X), or grounds opposite (diamond pattern for both receptacles)? I say make them opposite.
If you REALLY want it to work, get one with the grounds on opposite ends, install it horizontally (hot up on both receptacles), use a shared neutral circuit and a FPE panel. Then install an automatic wet paperclip dispenser on the wall, directly over the outlet. :-)
Heterosexual. One outlet, and one plug. None of this plugamy, or double male or double female nonsense. It's just not right.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I know someone who wanted a triple-male adapter once. Someone who got his gender mixed up for the holidays.
Eigenvector wrote:

<Snip>
Not really.

No. NEC 2005 is totally noncommital about it. In fact, GFI outlets have the 'test' and 'rest' buttons readable in either verticle position. However, Traister's 'Commercial Electrical Wiring' p.240 shows ground hole up in vertical orientation and neutral (longer) slot up for horizontal mounting as preferred practice.
Flip a coin and then just be consistant with the job as a whole.
Joe
The NEC does not care
As a practical matter there is one exception to "it does not matter" - if you have two or more duplets receptacles side by side it makes sense to install them in *alternating orientations*, this makes it more likely you will able to optimize your insertion of a combinations of plugs and "wall-wart" transformers.
Everyone will make fun of your "sloppy" work, though 8^)
MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC wrote:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx . That's heck of a good idea. Haven't got many'double' duplex outlets at moment but it fits in with my idea!
When I wire a yet to be finished part of our basement am intending to put in double duplex outlets, using square wall boxes; reason being that adapters are messy, often cheaply made, tend to protrude from the wall, may fall out etc. and do not accommodate sufficient plugs.
Also you do run into equipment cords that 'run off' in different directions, sometimes at right angles (sideways) as it were. I keep any old cut off equipment cords with odd configuration on the off chance that they may be useful.
e.g. In kitchen we have a 'battery charger' for those small AA, D cell batteries etc. whch has a moulded grounding plug, with cord that runs off the plug oddly! Even though the charger is completely enclosed and seemingly could use a two pin/polarized plug. Maybe the input-output/s of the charger are electrically not isolated; although unit seems heavy enough to contain an isolating transformer?
Also take a typical computer installation, (1) monitor, (2) the PC itself (3) Modem or router (4) printer or scanner etc. That's four sockets right there. The whole computer set up doesn't need a lot of the power available on a 15 amp circuit/outlet. Then if you want to plug in something else such as a radio or a soldering iron to do a small repair you need an extension cord to the next outlet which is hidden behind a heavy file cabinet or something!!!!
Similarly on work bench often have three items plugged in at same time in order to work on something.
So double duplex outlets, installed in 'opposite' directions at about waist level (just above desk-bench top height) it will be.
Thanks for the suggestion; oh, with a GFI outlet for downstream protection in each circuit. Cos our panel is equipped with standard Square D breakers, circa 1970s. Very happy that back then we installed a 200 amp service and big enough panel; still got a few spare positions!
Another idea; I may just install the duplex outlets 'sideways'?????????
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:11:08 -0700, "Eigenvector"

I have one outlet in each of several rooms that are switched outlets for lamps. These are oriented opposite the other outlets in the same rooms (cowgirl position - thanks for the nugget). At a fast glance I can tell it is switched (builder made). Other homes, switched like this were all oriented all the same, but the builder put a sticker on the plastic cover plate - I guess to indicate the switched outlet. -- Oren

That what about outlets that are HALF switched?

Mark Lloyd
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:14:32 -0500, Mark Lloyd

You lost me in three words, but... one plug is hot an the other switched????? . Don't let me go off half-switched? -- Oren
Oren wrote:

Sure. Why not?
Don't let me go off half-switched?

You don't know I don't do "electric", so be advised please.
-- Oren

The house I used to live in had one of those under the sink. The switched half was meant for the garbage disposal that wasn't there yet. I did add a disposal later and it just plugged in. The non-switched half was already used for a dishwasher.
I know of another house around here that has 2 half-switched outlets, meant for lamps on the ends of a couch.
BTW, I've once seen some strange receptacles. One side of those was normal 120V 15A, but the other looked like it would accept 20A (but NOT 15A) plugs.

Mark Lloyd