Proper Attic Insulation and Sealing

Hello all..

I am going to attempt to explain my current situation as best as possible and hope to find some good starting points.

I currently live in an older (1951) 1 1/2 story house. The house does not cool well (or heat all that well). My guess is that my largest problem occurs because of the insulation or lack there of on the upper floor since that area seems to always be the most extreme. On the upper floor there are two knee wall doors with attic access. These are sealed ok.

There is batting and blown insulation on the attic floor (I think the amount is inadequate). There are several vents on the roof.

I should probably also mention that the soffits and facias are basically 1" x 4" boards.. so ventilation doesn't seem to exist there, although I haven't taken a very close look yet.

My questions are what are some things to look for in the attic space to help identify or correct this problem?

Should there be insulation and a vapor barrier between each of the joists on the floor that run over the living area below? Perhaps there isn't enough ventilation? How can I tell?

Any suggestions to get me started in the right direction?

I'd be happy to answer anymore questions that might be needed.

Thanks in advance.

Chad.

Reply to
Grimley

Insulation is useless without tight sealing. A good vapor-barrier will handle that, if it's complete, and all windows and doors have good seals. (Few do.)

Insulation should be gently stuffed between framing, in the case of fiberglass.

Ventilation above insulation is critical, both in summer for obvious reason and in winter, to keep insulation dry and _insulating_.

Look to counter chimney-effect also. Especially control exterior leaks at lowest and highest elevations. DAMHIKT.

barry