Propane vs. Nat. Gas

Page 3 of 3

I did the math, and in the long run, the LP would be the cheapest. Now, aside from that, we are about ready to add another 3.5 ton heat pump to our ever expanding casa here. IF they get the gas in time, that would make it preferable to have the NG for the gas pack on the heat pump. But I'd still just keep the LP for cooking. We don't do a LOT of cooking, but enough to justify turning this range into a boat anchor if I had the choice. Electric stoves suck big time.
Steve

I bet is was fun watching them fight
If it was my house, easy choice. Go with propane. And then get a vented wall heater for the living room. Propane is usually cheaper than electric. And the propane works during power cuts.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have a cabin seven miles east of Cedar City, Utah. It was made in 1987, and electrifried in 1995. It had a propane fridge, and still has the original propane lights. Propane stove and water heater, too. When the electricity goes out, we're good to go except the satellite dish. Lights, stove, hot water, wood stove. Don't know if I want a generator or not. It's nice for things to be silent occasionally. Time to go up soon and see if we can drive through the snow drifts and start using it. Come on, spring.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

If the cabin is non electric beyond the satellite stuff, it sounds like a good candidate for solar and / or wind setup since it is a relatively small load. Check out stuff at homepower.com for ideas.

Nah, it's electric. About $72k to bring the electricity in 1995.
Stove

Last house had natural gas. I grew up with gas appliances. Moved here and had electric. Hated it so we went to propane. No noticeable difference between the two. You can always convert when the time comes. Put in a line for the gill while you are at it.

I like to move the grill around too much, and am drawing plans for a thirty five foot tall deck, so would be taking it up there for cookouts. If you are going to leave the grill in one place, yes, by all means, plumb it in. Safer, easier, better. We have different areas, so mobility is a prime consideration.
Steve

50' garden hose can fix all of that :)

Or multiple quick disconnects if there are only one or two places where you're likely to move it (gas lines hidden underneath the deck -- no tripping hazard and out of sight). You might also consider installing a power outlet at the same time to operate a rotisserie or BBQ lamp after dark.
Cheers, Paul
"Paul M. Eldridge" wrote:

Quick connects also eliminate the weight of lugging an LP tank around with the grill. LP can be plumbed around just as easily as NG.
nat gas alot cheeper to use than propane,they both cook the same . you dont have to buy tanks of nat gas . if your just cooking with gas , propane may be cheeper than getting the line to and in your house.