Propane vs gas

My sister has propane at her house. The propane company shut off the tank because they said they tested the line and found evidence of a leak (without knowing where the leak is). My sis called a couple of plumbers and asked for quotes to work on the line. A couple of them told her they didn't work on propane lines.
Any idea why they wouldn't? What's the difference between a propane line and a regular natural gas line that they wouldn't do the work?
--
charles

Charles Bishop wrote:

Where I live the propane company works on their own lines. Plumbers will not touch them because quite often the gas company owns the line. In my own house I installed the line from in the house to the outside. Then the gas company ran there line from tank to my connection and that is all they are responsible for. If I want them to work on my part of the line they will charge me.
Chris

You have idiot plumbers and propane co. Maybe she can find the leak, use dishwashing soap with just a bit of water to thin it and squirt it on all visable fittings, a leak will bubble. Maybe something is just loose, was the stove on and they missed that and thought it was a leak?

house I

responsible for.

If you called various plumbers to work on your part of the line, would some of them decline to do the work? If so, why?
--
charles

Charles Bishop wrote:

In my area the propane companies have installation/service divisions and are set up just to do that kind of work. It doesn't even make sense for a plumber to bother.
George wrote:

Up here in Maine it's about license and liability. Basically, "You touch it, you own it."
Tom Lachance wrote:

Sure, but I think having way too many lawyers wanting to move wealth to themselves 'ahem', "help others" is an issue in other places...
Also there is the cost of liability insurance. The insurance companies charge is based on the type of work performed. I know the premium goes up a lot if you mention fuel gas.

True...I bought a Nat Gas stove with a LP conversion kit and nobody would come near it...I ended-up doing the job.