Propane gas piping

I am replacing an electric range with a gas range. No nat gas service at my home so I will be using a freestanding propance tank outdoors about 50' from the applaince. What material should be used for the propane piping from tank to range?
I can only tell you what the pros did at my house; soft copper from the tank to the house, then 3/4" black metal pipe throughout the house. A couple of things I picked up talking to / watching them; Don't use galvanized pipe, it flakes off and plugs pilots and such, leave a drop ( a T with a nipple and cap facing down) every so often to catch the liquid and leave it a place to evaporate, be very paranoid about every connection & use gas approved dope.

Mine was done with 3/8" soft copper.
mikekelly wrote:

I would suggest you get the propane company to do it for you. If your buying gas from them the cost should be minimal and the piece of mind knowing it is done right and properly tested for leaks is priceless.
Just my .02 George
I dont know your utility prices , but you should consider upgrade possibilities for heat and HW. For most of the US electric is the highest price per BTU. For me Electric is 50-60% more than fuels. Copper and Black pipe may be ok. Call your city inspection or code office for what is good for your local, gees we don`t know whats accepted in your situation .
3/8th soft copper on mine. I assume it has enough give in it that frost etc do not seem to bother it and of course you have no connectors from tank to appliance to worry abt leaking. Check with your tank and propane supplier though for what they require as they will not supply either if you do not meet the specs they use. cheers

mikekelly wrote:

As with the other posts, check with your supplier as to local requirements for accepted material. Bear in mind NFPA requirements for tank location. Proximity to building openings, ignition sources and forced ventilation intakes need to be taken into consideration. Distances from supply to present and possible future appliance(s)also need to be considered. 50' of 1/2" copper is about the max for a standard 30" residential range.
design with upgrade ability to heat water is a excellent idea and probably cheap too. leaves it as a option for the future.
it would give you faster recovery and more hot water when you want it at a far lower cost.