Problems with PVC

Can someone please tell me how I can stop a water leak in a piece of PVC pipe that connects my underground sprinkler system. It is a threaded joint.
Is there something I can put on it to stop the leak without taking it apart? I cannot use any type of heavy duty glue, as I may need to unscrew that joint if a valve needs replacing later. I tried plumber's tape, but no luck.
Thanks.
Corinne

Not really. You're better off just replacing the section of pipe and/or the valve.

If thread sealing tape doesn't fix the leak, don't waste any more of your time with it. Just replace the threaded section of pipe and/or the valve. It's not a difficult job, or an expensive one. The hardest part will be digging up the area around the leak.
BTW, don't forget to turn your water off before you start taking things apart.
Hope this helps.

As Bannister says, replace the section of pipe. You don't give much info. If you are going from PVC to an iron pipe, be sure to use a -male- pvc piece and do not overtighten. Using a female one can cause it to split on the cast line (trust me, I know from bad experience). Overtightening can, believe it or not, cause leaks.
Harry K

The one thing I learned about threaded PVC joints is that they are prone to leaking especially where they are screwed into metal. The best way to stop the leak is to use teflon tape and just finger tighten it. What happenes is that when you tighten it past handtight the PVC part will start to distort and leak. I just put it on hand tight then pressurize the system. If it still leaks then i tighten it just a little more.