Problem shut off valve

I've had some groaning from a toilet in my house when it is not running (at least not when it's being flushed). The other day I tried shutting the water off when the groaning started and instead of turning off, the valve began spraying water all over the bathroom. I'm sure that the solution is that the valve needs to be replaced and this will probably solve both problems. I thought I'd check with you first, though. Any suggestions? Thanks!!! Joanna
Joanna wrote:

Start by doing what seems right, replace the valve. Get a top quality one. The cheap ones just don't last.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
<< the solution is that the valve needs to be replaced and this will probably solve both problems. >>
Highly likely. Choose a good quality shutoff valve for this application. The best types around these days are the quarter turn ball valves which eliminate or mitigate the problems found in the older types where the stem packing gave up and led to nasty leaks when they were operated. Which is exactly what happened to yours, right? HTH
Joe