"Printed AR15" - 600 rounds and still going

"... Defense Distributed, released a video this week showing a gun firing off over 600 roundsillustrating what is likely to be the first wave of semi-automatic and automatic weapons produced by the additive manufacturing process."

Downloadable plans freely available.

Plastic (on the new guns) acts differently than metal, so, "The idea is not to print components for guns that are, but the guns that will be..."

HeyBub

Still, on thinking about it, the ability to "forge" your own parts could come in handy for home repairs!

I suspect, in a couple of years, like open-source software, there'll be masses of plans one can download for the home 3-D printer. Everything from switch-plates to water sprinklers to pet food bowls.

Reply to
HeyBub

How about body parts? From the L.A. Times:

A man supposedly had 3/4 of his skull replaced. This sounds more like sci-fi than anything.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I recall reading something about 3D printing of body parts/organ replacements using biological materials that match and mesh with or provide a scaffold for the body's cells to grow into and perhaps be absorbed after doing their job. I remember something about implants containing live insulin producing cells to help diabetics. I really hope current events don't destroy medical advances in biotechnology that can improve the quality of life of folks with medical problems. Imagine being able to order custom made replacement parts for your damaged human body. Body Shop would take on a whole new meaning. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas