Price of Shingle removal, two layers vs three

Page 2 of 2
On 5/16/2011 10:14 AM, Evan wrote:

Then you have not heard of everything because everyone that I have rented was based only on the size and how long I kept it.
Don

Going back 20 years or more every one I ever rented was based on size, time and a weight not to exceed X amount.
Weight over X always entailed extra charges.
Recently those maximums were lowered and a per ton charge was added. so it might well depend on location like so many prices on the Internet do.
Shingles are heavy and I can see extra charge for a 3rd layer. My personal opinion is that the amount of work increases in direct proportion to the layers. Strip a few roofs and get back to me with your opinions.
Colbyt

Then you are being charged a price that no one who needed routine access to dumpsters would ever pay...
Its by size and tonnage when you are getting the best price possible... If you want to pay someone's mark-up to pay one price no questions asked, then you take your chances...
Good luck with that...
~~ Evan

Nice back pedal. And why are you trying to compare someone who rents dumpsters only occasionally with a contractor's pricing where the guy might be renting several a week?
Evan, you seem to like to paint things in black and white, but there are a lot of gray areas in construction and in life. People do different things in different ways in different parts of the country and allowances for this have to be made in the advice that is given and taken on this newsgroup.

@Rico:
Contract law 101 huh...
Its opinions like yours that cause contracts to become short novels... The longer the contract the less likely the average homeowner seeking a repair or improvement is to agree to it... It just isn't possible to cover every foreseeable circumstance that might arise on a construction site during a project on a few pages of contract...
~~ Evan

Yeah, I guess it's just too much to expect a competent roofing contractor to have some standard contract terms that spell out the VERY COMMON contingencies. Like discovering that there are 3 layers, rather than 2. I'm 100% with Rico on this one. Any competent roofer should have been able to easily figure out how many layers of shingles there were. And if he did the job, then sent me a bill for an extra $1100, at the very least, I'd negotiate it down before just writing a check.
An example of a similar situation was when I had my patio removed and a new stamped concrete one poured. The guy quoted it and we had a signed contract. Upon going to remove the old one, it turned out the concrete was a lot thicker and harder to demo than he expected. He told me about it and I saw it, but he didn;t try to hit me up for additonal $$$. That's part of what contractors are supposed to expect and factor in. Or else spell out in their contracts. And in the case of our OP, it would be interesting to know exactly what the contract says. If it said specifically to remove TWO layers, then you have a situation where he's entitled to a reasonable amount for the difference. IF it just says remove exisiting shingles, then he should eat it.
In fact, the more I think about it, the more Rico is right. What a great way to screw customers out of an additional $1100. Go check it out, see that it's 3 layers, quote 2, then charge $$$ after the fact.

No. Contracts 30 Years Experience. On both sides.

Curious. You didn't even mention a contract in your earlier posts. You just mocked the OP and told him to pay up. Now you're saying the roofer's contract omitted mentioning the number of existing layers of shingles to be removed so he wouldn't have the homeowner fall asleep while reading it.
As far as the additional contract length required to deal with this sort of situation...I don't know...three extra words? An additional sentence?
"removal of existing roof shingles." or "removal of existing two layers of roof shingles."
Additional sentence: "The project cost includes removal of up to two layers of existing roof shingles, and removal of any additional layers will cost an additional $1000. each."
It's not asking a lot to have someone reading a contract worth thousands of dollars to read and understand that.

This was entirely foreseeable...by the roofer. Entirely.
Either the roofer messed up honestly, or messed up dishonestly. Your position is quite clear - the homeowner is at fault for the roofer's lack of smarts or ethics and should just pay up for the roofer's mistake. I disagree.

With you 1000% on this one. Your analysis is perfect.
Have you ever shingled a house? Or given an estimate on a house? I doubt it .. so until you have gotten on a roof maybe your 8th for the day in the hot summer, you can't always see the 3rd layer especially if the ridge is done correctly. and yes, this is why contractors have lengthy contracts.. becau se homeowners think you are supposed to do everything for free.