Price of a new gas furance

How much should a new gas furnace with instalation cost? We have a very old house with forced hot air - not planning to stay more than 5 more years.

Reply to
cjdugg

on 9/16/2007 10:31 AM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said the following:

$1.98 + tax around here. ( I tipped the installer for the work, so it come out to $2.00 even). You should check with your local contractors. It could be more or less than here.

Reply to
willshak

A good range of prices is $1532.67 to $14,789.54. Depends on size and location. Add 9.6% for units that will last more than 5 years.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

About 5 dollars considering we can't see it from here.

Reply to
No crystal bal

Difficult to say unless we know where you live, how many rooms/floors in your house among other things. Even then it would be a guess.

Reply to
Meat Plow

5 year stay? Then you should think about the added value to the home's resale value.

Will a more expensive furnace make getting a sale contract occur faster, will a more expensive furnace get you a higher sale price because of multiple bids? Home sales in your community both in volume of sold and demand for used homes have a lot to say also.

Someone else, a real estate agent for example, could advise you if the extra money for a high energy efficient furnace would add enough to re-sale price of a home to make it worth the effort. My guess, and this is just a wild a** guess, a furnace less than 5 years old only adds about 35-to-50 cents on the dollar invested on the new furnace to the sale price of the home; an energy efficient one may only make that 50-65 cents on the dollar invested

(for comparison, I was told that a remodeled kitchen less than 3 years old adds about 75 cents on the dollar to the re-sell price; re-doing the electric service is about 10-to-20 cents.)

Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

Look up 'gas furnace' in ebay.com and you will get a nice range of prices. Ask the sellers what to expect in installation costs or do it yourself.

Reply to
valvejob