Pressure washer brands -- which one to choose?

Has anybody had any experience with the Karcher, Simoniz, Craftsman, Husky or Campbell Haufeld power washers?

I'm getting one as a gift for my father, but I'm not sure what to buy. Anything over 1750 psi costs at least $300 here in Canada, so I was thinking about getting a new one on ebay -- which means it proably won't come with a warranty.

Is this a bad idea? Is one brand significantly better than another? Thanks again for the insight!

Reply to
blinky

Buying without a warranty is not the best idea since all those are cheaply made. I blew out 2 generac electric in 1 day. Simonise, they make car wax so that is awhatever from likely china were alot of crap is made. Karcher and Cambel Housefield may be the best. Buy local so if there is a problem you just exchange it

Reply to
m Ransley

I purchased a Karcher electric 13 years ago and it still works as new. Don't just look at PSI. my karcher is only 950psi but flows at 2.2GPM. Many of the new 'high' psi models have very low flow rates. Unless you have a very large area to clean the electric models are more convenient to use.

Reply to
Martik

My friend has a 10 yr old Karcher, uses it every week or so, finaly the switch broke, so he bypassed it it still is fine. My 3 yr old Karcher unit works, But I burnt out 2 generac cheapies in 4 hrs first before I got it.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Martik

Don't buy a Karcher, They are absolute crapola! Among other things, the switch burns out and replacing it is neither simple nor cheap. I replaced mine with one that Canadian Tire had on sale last spring. It doesn't have quite as much power but it still works very well. (Sorry, I forget the brand and it's down in the basement.) I'm told Simoniz is just as bad as Karcher.A lady who repairs them (as well as snowblowers and such) tells me that most of the home units are designed to last only for a limited amount of time. So far, mine is fine and I used it a last spring and summer. The main problem I have with any PW is the way everything gets tangled up. They have a supply hose, an electric wire and the pressure hose and they get all twisted up to-gether. Somebody should come up with a design that keeps everything separated. ds

.
Reply to
R.Smyth

Try using an "Offspring" pressure washer. Those folks well know that "You Gotta Keep 'em Separated"...

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Martik your Karcher is 3 times heavier becaudse it is well built to last, unlike most cheap china stuff. Rotating nozzles can be good for certain jobs, I dont notice much difference

Reply to
m Ransley