pressure switches and ants

I miss the fire ants too. Crazy ants drove them out. I haven't seen a fire ant in 4 years. I could handle them. This is a whole new beast of ant.

I got some projects to try out too now.

Thank you all for some input.

Reply to
dfireonly

I've never used it indiscriminately, but it has yet to fail on anything I've tried it on...

Don't figure it can hurt...may not work but afaik they're pretty-much non-food-source specific (meaning both protein and sugars are fair game) so don't see why it shouldn't...

Anyway, what's the loss in trying it or something similar?

Reply to
dpb

The trick with ants is still to use a bait. The problem is figuring out what they are eating. I watch them and when I figure out their favorite food, I make bait out of it (12 parts food, 1 part boric acid.) That will wipe out that colony but the one that comes back will not usually eat that bait anymore. These days, I seen an ant walking around now and then but they are not in anything I can see. I have taught them not to eat sugar, (all types), grease, meat, dog food, starches or eggs. They still eat dead bugs and I let them. Nests near the house get dosed with that Spectacide stuff and I maintain a 15 foot ring around the house with the "max" lawn granules. That is really more to hold back the palmetto bugs tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

I've been doing the same with spectacide. About 10 to 20 feet around the house. 3 foot up the house sides too. Once I got the area done I hit the well area with a soap water solution.

I did sugar and boric mix. It worked for a while. Guess I made a weak batch. They came back. I can't figure out what they will eat now. I'm watch tho too.

As much as they like the well po> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 13:15:03 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: >

Reply to
dfireonly

I have a few 10s of millions, all free, you pay shipping :)

Reply to
dadiOH

I'm just thankful for all the things we don't have around here: fire ants, crazy ants, armadillos, Texans, ....

Reply to
rbowman

On 07/17/2015 5:12 AM, dadiOH wrote: ...

fire ants in OH????

We don't even have the real ones here in SW KS yet (thank goodness)...large red ants, yes, but not the gen-u-wine fire variety.

Reply to
dpb

Have you tried a product called Simple Green? It kills ants practically instantly, at least the ones I've used it on thus far.

Reply to
Muggles

Killing individual ants may make you feel good but it doesn't do much to control the ant population.

Reply to
gfretwell

Need to have them spayed and neutered, and return to the wild.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I usually use that spray when they are marching in long lines moving their nests. A lot of ants are out and I can also see where they are coming from and going, to I douse both nests with the Simple Green, too.

Reply to
Muggles

The last time I was in Ohio was 1943. I was 10 and had the measels.

Reply to
dadiOH

I like that technique. You get an unique object d'art and I've got the feeling that ants won't be using the nest again.

Reply to
rbowman

replying to dadiOH, haikujourney wrote: I have had the problem for years and the answer is not an ant proof pressure switch but to ant-proof your pressure switch.

If you have vaseline you're set to go. Vaseline coat the wires right at the opening where they go into the switch box, around the opening, anywhere an ant can get into the box. put a coat inside the box around openings.

Ants will not walk across Vaseline ~ petroleum jelly. This will last an entire year and even longer.

Vaseline has more than one use...

Reply to
haikujourney