Preparing for a new water heater....

Awl --
Apropos of the recent threads on anodes, tank/tankless, etc, what are the alternatives to running off to HD/Sears on the day my water heater goes? Are there water heaters out there that are demonstrably superior to others? Review sources? Can they be shipped in a timely way?
Consumer reports has ratings... but they hold them back.... an otherwise good discussion. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/water-heaters/buying-guide.htm Inybody got the ratings?
More discussion here: http://www.consumersearch.com/water-heaters/best-tank-water-heaters
Ahm thinkin electric -- but even with the better thermodynamics, more expensive, fuel-wise, apparently.
--
EA

There's always commercial units, like from AO Smith. They'll start in larger sizes though. It's anecdotal, but I've not seen one rust through on the 6th year like the stuff at box stores. They must be making strange fractional guage sheet metal in china that's engineered to rust through the second the warranty is up on regular water heaters these days.
On Friday, February 1, 2013 5:47:51 PM UTC-6, Cydrome Leader wrote:

I agree with you about A.O.Smith.
My mothers has one that is going on 12 years.
Contractors buy a lot of them as well.
Andy

My mom has a gas AO Smith domestic unit. We're thinking we might want to replace it. It's only 25 years old, and still appears to be fine, but it's probably living on borrowed time. I'm just starting my search.
I have no idea if the current AO Smith units are this good anymore, but that's where I'm starting.
Definitely go for the model with the longest warranty. I think AO Smith typically does 10 year. I'd also check that whatever you get is still made in the US.
Doug White
On 02/02/2013 09:20 AM, Doug White wrote:

Pull the anode and have a look - if there's no wire showing, replace it (the anode that is) and enjoy hot water for another 20ish years :)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

CR didn't actually rate the water heaters. The Buying Guide is it for information. Natural gas annual operating expense is about half of electric based on national averages according to them. CR said go for the longer warranty since those are generally built better.

I like gas - much faster recovery if you have lots of housemates and/or a schedule that requires taking a shower soon after doing laundry, etc. Electrics just can't keep up. Gas water heaters are more expensive than electric to purchase, but IMHO it is well worth it.
I would also recommend replacing the (likely plastic) drain valve with a dielectric nipple, ball valve, etc. as suggested before pre-installation - you'll feel much more confident about flushing out the sediment every year and therefore will be more likely to actually do it.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
after a lifetime of running out of hot water my current tank is 75 gallons 75,000 BTUs... endless hot water:) without the downsides of tankless:) I have 2 washing machines, a dishwasher and 3 people living here
My last tank was 50 gallons 75,000 BTUs, when it started seeping I couldnt find a 50 gallon tank so I went with the 75 gallon one.... the 50 gallon tank was fine.....
Friends have wimpy 30 and 40 gallon tanks 25,000 BTU...... I couldnt live with that:(
the better tank doesnt cost that much more and my theory. a small tank means the tank itself cycles hot cold a lot, where larger tanks with more BTUs lead a less stressful life, they dont got hot cold so much
On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:26:05 -0500, "Existential Angst"

Menards. That's what I did. Just measure height of vent, water fittings and gas fitting placement so you can pick up any needed fittings or vent. I got one real close in size but still needed to pick up a couple nipples to get the same fit. Richmond 40 gal, 6-year. Cheap, but I never had a tank that didn't last 15 years or so. It's a "not broke, don't fix item," and I don't keep a spare. No big deal going even a few days without a water heater. You can heat water in pots if you can't replace it right away.

Why would someone who is a total expert on thermodynamics and sh*t need to ask?

<WAAAAAAAAAA> I never heard of Carnot, and certainly didn't know engine effic was related to temp. <WAAAAAAAAAA> I certainly didn't know the two could be combined wrt compression ratio
But, on the brite side, you proly give very good head.
--
EA

On 2/1/2013 6:26 PM, Existential Angst wrote:> Awl -- > > Apropos of the recent threads on anodes, tank/tankless, etc, what are the > alternatives to running off to HD/Sears on the day my water heater goes? > Are there water heaters out there that are demonstrably superior to others? > Review sources? Can they be shipped in a timely way?
I'm happy with my GE 40gal, 12yr, with 40,000 btu burner that I bought at Home Depot last summer. The 12yr models have twice the insulation than the 6 & 9 yr models. Plus if you have a HD credit card, you can get 6 months same as cash.

>http://www.bockwaterheaters.com/Products/turboflue_multi.html
That's good because their manuals and policies are clearer.

Their home units also have half the warranty duration of the better residential models.
No thanks.
Doug White

If you're in the US, your electric bill is about to take a big hike. So gas would be my recommendation. As far as which one, there was only one make and model that fit the utility closet where it lives at my place, so that was an easy choice. If you get a glass-lined one, blow it out regularly and it's got more than a skimpy insulation blanket, you'll probably be happy. Probably a long warranty will cost more, but might mean that the company put more than tomato can metal in the tank. Needed capacity is going to be determined by how many people you've got in the place, how many showers they take and how many loads of laundry a week you do. I know my folk's gas and water bill took a steep dive after my sister moved out.
Any ratings you see are NOT going to be about durability, are purely running costs. Most retail models will have sticker on them at the store with that info. And they'll be biased towards the high-end computerized models. They probably won't last long enough to pay off the replacement of a simple pilot light with all the extra hardware.
Stan