Power Vent vs Chimney?

I've had a problem with a Buderus furnace installed in Oct98 - my burner continuously soots up and parts suffer heat damage. A new technician with our oil company told us that Buderus specified Direct Vent for the system in the late 90s, but has since recommended Chimney or Power Vent construction to adress the problem I'm having.
Apparently, chimneys cost more, but power vents require overhaul every few years. Any more pros and cons for the two solutions?
BRET
you pretty much know what you need to know. chimney costs more in short run, less in long run. personally i would go with the chimney. more parts = more to go wrong when you least expect it.
randy