Power to LCD TV

How can i get power out of a receptacle if the existing box is nailed to a stud. How can i get the box out to feed a romex to it & tie it in for the wall mount tv ?

Reply to
desgnr

Sounds like you are planning to add an outlet high on the wall behind where your new TV will go.

You may not have to remove the box from the stub of the existing outlet you are going to tie in to. You could remove the cover plate and make the drywall hole a little bigger and fish the wire down to the bigger opening. Of course trying to then get it into the box will be a PITA.

If the new outlet will be directly above an existing outlet I would start insode the existing box and send a straightened coat hanger (or fish stick) up from the inside of the existing box to the new hole. Then attach and pull the wire down into the box.

If that won't work you'll most likely need to cut the nails holding the box to the stud. Sawzall or a multi-master would be ideal for this. A bare hacksaw blade would also work but take quite a bit of time. Just run the blade of whatever tool along the outside of the box next to the stud. On *rare* ocassions you can grab the nails from inside the box and pry them out using diagonal cutters.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

I had the same situation. I got lucky because my existing outlet was in the same "stud bay" where the new TV outlet was going, so no need to drill though studs.

I managed to remove a 1/2" knockout in the existing box and snake the new wire up to the new box. Now the question was how do install a romex clamp in the old box? Well I used this pop-in plastic clamp on the inside of the box:

What's nice about this clamp is you don't have to remove the old box to put the clamp in from the outside. It is a low profile clamp, does not intefere with the inside of the box.

Reply to
Mikepier

I assume you are trying to conceal the wiring in the wall. You never mentioned if that is what you're trying to do.

Most electrical boxes have multiple locations where wiring may enter and exit. Pop open another opening. Use a screw-in clamp to follow code and seal it. Nails can also be pulled loose if you want a different box. Perhaps you should have somebody else do the job if this sort of thing is news to you.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Yea, I usually just remove the new work box and replace it with an old work box after I fish the wires.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I was lucky- when I had to add an outlet on the tail end of a string like that, I just removed the knockout from inside the box, pushed the romex up the stud bay, and grabbed it from the hole I had cut for the old-work box on the other side. Didn't have to do any puttying or painting. Secured it in the old box with the internal clamp already there.

Gotta couple other places where I really ought to do the same thing, to make vacuuming easier. Who makes a hall with NO outlets, even back in

1960? Borrow power from outlet in same stud bay in adjacent bedroom, etc.

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

I just wanted to add to the OP, I also used a deep old work box with a clock outlet. The recessed outlet helps make more room since behind the wall mounted TV is tight.

Reply to
Mikepier

Good idea.

Reply to
Tony

and of course, what ever wiring in additition to power that is snaked thorugh will be obsolete by the time the next TV is purchased. Nowadays it hdmi is current. From where? Cable boxes are mostly still analog to the box. RG6 RF ATSC to the tv from an antenna? Otherwise it means an external box from the cable company or satelite company. Going to have a shelf under the TV with the cable box or satelite tuner? Ruins the athethetics right there. Might as well run the power and cables in a short run of surface mount contuit and be done with it.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Just leave a heavy string or light rope to pull the next type of wire through. Besides, I didn't see the OP (it wasn't quoted) and read it as using the clock outlet to plug in the TV. I think we'll be using romex for a while yet.

Reply to
Tony