Power Deregulation - any feedback about third party suppliers?

"HeyBub" wrote

There may not have been value added to the peas themselves, but a service was performed that increased efficiency to the Giant. That has value. Same (although opposite) value as the grocer. One consolidated, the other distributes. The grocer avoids you having to travel to the Giant to buy a can of peas the the Pea store.

The problem with some of the layers in electricity, they perform no service, just add to the cost while keeping money for themselves. Much like your sardines.

The price of oil dropped a few bucks a barrel, but my local station raised the price 2¢ today.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You have to remember that certain parts of ANY White House (especially doing scut work like sending Bday Cards to those over 70, etc.) are largely made up of younger people with limited adult supervision. Think Animal House in ties. So, there are certain places in any White House populated by people who would think switch keyboard keys around would be uproariously funny.

ALready is and always has been. Even MCare doesn't pay for everything. Besides rationing is what economic systems do by definition.

Not unusual and it was a TF that was already on station in the area. No big deal.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

What was alleged was not pranks. It was rather widely reported to be very expensive vandalism. It was a lie. Lots of people believed it.

Just like the reported damage in Madison - hard to believe by krw. That is because it should not have been believed by krw (and dufas).

The death panel stuff was way beyond that.

It was based on a provision for counseling where someone could discuss with a doctor what the patient wanted for treatment - such as maintain maximum care if brain dead. Some people seem to not want to be kept alive if they are a vegetable. A "health directive" would make clear what the patient wanted. Medical staff could make clear what kind of choices might come up. The patient made the decisions.

There were no death panels.

Thanks to the idiocy of Palin and others, like tea-party robots at home congressional meetings, the provision was removed. Much better that vegetables be kept alive with machines.

I agree it was routine.

But not for idiot Bachman. How many people believed her? She got her cost information on the internet - it must have been right. Hard to imagine what you would have to do to cost $100M per day.

Reply to
bud--

I do believe there is something called "A Living Will" that would convey the wish of a patient that no extraordinary measures be used to keep them alive.

Funny thing, I saw $200 million cost per day at one source. I suppose if The Congressional Budget Office produced a number, you wouldn't believe them either? There are so many hidden costs associated with protecting our President, that I doubt anyone could produce an accurate accounting.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

We're not talking about MY kids. My kids are living the American dream: one's a teacher and the other is on unemployment.

We're talking about kids in third-world countries. Kids that have never SEEN a teacher and, if they're lucky, they'll grow up - unemployed but grown.

And, had it not been for the Americans, the kids you saw probably would not see adulthood.

Reply to
HeyBub

There is some traction to your observation that US companies locate in places where they can avoid regulations and have lower employee costs.

There is also a significant incentive to locate offshore to avoid taxes. The US has the 2nd largest (soon to become THE largest) corporate tax rate in the world - something in the neighborhood of 35%. If the US reduced its corporate tax rate to zero, we could make a big dent in unemployment as companies moved production facilities back home.

Things have changed, however. Republicans got elected. Whether this will result in bloodshed is solely up to the unions.

Reply to
HeyBub

What actually disgraced our race was the fact the moron was re-elected.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Oh Jeez, now you're rewriting union history? I'm not particularly fond of unions, but I am fond of the truth.

Just like the partisan donkey crap that either the D's or the R's are solely responsible for all our ills, perhaps you've heard the expression "it takes two to tango." The history of the labor movement is riddled with murders of union workers, scabs, innocent bystanders, Pinkertons, hired thugs, business owners and more.

Union organizers faced businessmen determined to keep unions out of their businesses at all costs. No one who is writing in AHR today really knows what work was like in the early industrial age. They have no idea how many people died so they could have their paid vacations, health bennies, lunch hours, work breaks, fair wages, pensions, workmen's comp and more. They just take for granted those conditions were always there. They were not.

A lot of people on every side of the issue died, at it wasn't all "solely up to the unions." I'm sure you've enjoyed many of the benefits that were brought about by the unions you're now (wrongly) implying are the sole cause of labor violence. History says otherwise.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

With minimal thinking ability you could figure out that what Palin (and other idiots) called "death panels" was optional counseling by medical staff to help people create their own "Living Will". The medical staff would be *paid*. The decisions, if any, are made by the people. That is all there was in the health proposal that Palin called "death panels". It was a lie. It was spread by many of the right wing darlings. Many (most?) gullible tea-party types believed it. Are you one of them?

Look it up at FactCheck. Or PolitiFact - it was the "lie of the year".

So now people can try to guess what might happen to them for what they put in their Living Will. Guessing in medical areas is such a good idea.

Read what Kurt wrote.

What number did the CBO produce - you conveniently don't say.

You are gullible enough to believe anything idiots like Bachman say.

Hey - I'll sell you a deed to a famous historical bridge - cheap. Absolutely legal.

Reply to
bud--

With minimal reading comprehension you assume I'm a member of The Tea Party. You obviously failed to grok everything I wrote especially since I don't believe anything said by any politician particularly Democrat politicians. BeeHO worshipers take anything said by their messiah as the Gospel truth. Are you one of them?

My roommate's mom had A Living Will and his family had to fight the medical staff who wished to ignore the DNR instructions.

There goes your lack of reading comprehension again. Liberal Commiecrats not only suffer from selective hearing but it's obvious your type is also afflicted with selective reading. Go back and try to understand what the word "if" means. I'm sure a third grader, even one from a government school could explain to you what the word "if" means. Most of the citizenry can't comprehend a million dollars much less one or two hundred million so I can't really fault you for that.

You call me gullible when you have no reading comprehension and you actually believe you could sell the deed to The Brooklyn Bridge? Geez! What a moron you are, how do walk around without getting hurt by tripping over or bumping into everything?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Was the family united? My experience is that much of the time Living Wills are ignored by the Docs it is because one or more members of the family are arguing against it. Currently, the risk management equation favors the argumentative (and thus looked at as more likely to sue) family member over the wishes of the most likely unconscious and thus silent patient. Assuming of course that you haven't run into a God-like doc who KNOWS he can save this patient. That is a whole other Kettle of Fish. (g

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

You make some good point, but that's almost all history. Worker's rights, working conditions, hours, pay, safety rules, and the like have all been settled. There are huge government agencies that enforce all these regulations.

One thing that remains of the union legacy is thuggery.

Reply to
HeyBub

No, his mother was a saint, she was that sort of great mom and she made it clear to everyone that if she went down hill to the point where she wasn't self aware, they were not to hook her up to all sorts of machines to keep her heart beating if there was no one home upstairs. His dad is a minister and he was adamant about honoring her wishes. His dad is a cool old guy who was a paratrooper during The Invasion of Normandy, he has a Purple Heart, Bronze Star and Silver Star. His parents are from that WWII generation like mine.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Those rights, like any other, need constant vigilance because they're under constant attack. Every year since I started working my health benefits became less and less valuable. My defined pension plan got converted to a

401K, I lost a week of vacation time and my disability/health/misc. insurance covers less and costs more each year. When people get laid off, others weren't hired to replace them; their work was split up among the remaining group members, essentially a cut in pay. There probably isn't a salaried employee here who hasn't gotten the feeling that they're working more and getting less for it every year. There's no guarantee that the benefits unions have won for *everyone* won't start getting peeled away one by one. The evidence suggests quite clearly that's exactly what's happening.

Employers have found thousands of loopholes in Federal work regulations. The recent bus crash that killed 15 in NY led one transportation worker to call the driver's logbook "the fairytale book" because employees are told exactly what they need to write to keep the Feds happy and it has nothing to do with reality. Employers hire rafts of temps to skillfully avoid paying benefits. They hire independent contractors (that are in many cases really full time employees, the IRS contends) as a further attempt to avoid paying benefits and into FUTA, FICA, etc.

If business indeed runs in large, 100 year cycles as some suggest, it's time for the wheel of fortune to turn and for us to see a resurgence in the idea of unions. The Wisconsin walkout gave the issue enough time to gain legs of its own. Rather than co-opting the process, the Democrats were using the rules, just like Rep. Shelby of Alabama does with his holds on nominees, to focus attention on a deal that was supposed to go down so quickly that no one would notice. But they did. And now the heat is on.

Was anyone murdered in Wisconsin? It's easy to preach union violence, but if you look worldwide, it's once again businesses that are hiring thugs to union bust. It's not the simplistic argument you're turning it into.

"Canada's National Union of Public and General Employees (NUPGE) noted in a recent statement that on average, a trade union leader is assassinated every three days in Colombia, accounting for the vast majority of all trade unionists killed worldwide. More than 80 percent of the casualties are civilians, NUPGE said, with the extreme right-wing paramilitaries responsible for 85 percent of the deaths and the army for another 10 percent."

The Wisconsin protest struck me as a mostly peaceful demonstration that succeeded in focusing the nation's attention on the Republican's belief that winning the midterms in the lower house was a mandate to bust unions, dismantle Federal agencies and punish Democrats and their constituents nationwide. We both know it was the very same stars that were in alignment to get Clinton a second term.

Now, by seeming to "take control" the Republicans get to share in the blame if anything goes really south before 2012. The funny thing is that when watching the Sunday talk shows, it's clear that Republican commentators also see this same "we have a mandate" folly playing out as it did with Clinton. I see the right as nearly being forced into running two candidates: Right and Super Far Right. Shades of Ross Perot. (-: The Tea Party will split the Republican vote and Obama will cruise to a second term like Clinton did.

Republicans should remember that they really only have control over the lower house of one branch of government and an occasional majority on the Supreme Court. That's not carte blanche to strangle the Federal government. I am betting once they do shrink the government, it will deflate the overall recovery by throwing an estimated 700,000 people out of work. There's extremely clear evidence the longer you're out of work, the less likely you are to find a job - ever. Like the demise of GM, that's something that's NOT good for us in the long run. But there seems to be absolutely no business that shows an interest in long term planning of any kind. It's just "what's our current stock price and how can we boost it?"

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

You make a few good points BUT - most of this is NOT LABOUR RELATED so much as political in nature. As long as you have two diametrically opposed and inflexible political parties involved in every aspect of American life, you will have conflict in every aspect of American life.

Can't put it much simpler than that. Anything either labour or management says or does is seen through the political lens and will offend (deeeply) one "party" or the other.

Reply to
clare

Didn't say that at all.. You have some of the same gullibility problems, so I asked.

Which is irrelevant.

You said you didn't know what "death panels" were. Have figured it out?

Have you figured out that they were a lie?

Do you remember that tea-party types were screaming (literally) about "death panels" at town hall meetings?

Have you figured out "death panels" was actually optional help for making a Living Will?

Name calling is so useful..... Name calling is a favorite of people with nothing to say.

Sorry - I mistakenly thought you were saying something relevant. Like a reliable source for $200M. If you don't believe it maybe you shouldn't quote it. Don't have to be real smart to figure out $100M/day is insane. But then Bachman isn't real smart. You can't figure it out?

Or maybe a reliable source that says Wisconsin cleanup cost $16M.

You seem to believe about anything.

Like $16M in Wisconsin?

$200M for India? It doesn't immediately fail the smell test?

You thought "death panels" had some reasonable meaning?

Wanna buy the deed to a bridge?

Reply to
bud--

Sorry, I really have no more time to waste on the grok impaired, besides, there is a very nice man from Nigeria who is going to send 14.8 million dollars to me if I help him move the money out of his country. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yep. But that's the nature of our legal and political system - it's adversarial in nature. While raucous at times, it's far superior to one-party or multi-party rule. Those who urge "bipartisanship" simply do not understand the job at hand.

It's simpler, too.

G. Northcott Parkinson observed that a two party system is more straightforward. When a member of your party takes the floor, you shout "Hear! Hear!"; when an opposition party member begins to speak, you cry: "Shame! Shame!". What could be easier?

Reply to
HeyBub

Gack! Bipartisanship can also read "compromise and cooperation." Just because it has become politically popular to play "my way or the highway" doesn't it mean that it's always been that way or should be be that way. Both sides usually have good points but there's never enough money or will to implement them all. So compromises must be reached based on what either sides values the most and is willing to give up something for.

Party line voting just ends up in gridlock but both parties have made it clear they will punish those who seek to cross over to vote their conscience, not their party. It's why we're in the middle of revenge politics right now. The side that gets into power quickly seeks to undo the work of their enemies and vice versa. Based on the polls I've seen, Gov. Walker wasn't given a "mandate" to go union-busting and his actions could result in his recall.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

If you believe we have two diametrically opposed and inflexible political parties running this country you must believe the rivalries in the World Wrestling Federation or whatever they call themselves now are real. Most arguments between different political parties are meant for one thing....to polarize the public so they can wrangle votes. Most do it by delivering the same message in one form or another, "See those people over there....well your life sux and its their fault."

Jimmie

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE