powder to help outgas new carpet

I once bought a powder from a place in Iowa that you sprinkle all over new carpet and it sucks the toxic odors out...anybody remember what it is called?
Also, could I just use baking soda and then vacuum it up after a few days?
Anybody got any other ideas?
Thnaks,
Michael
On 18 Aug 2004 17:42:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@oaklandsyda.org (mike) wrote:

Open a couple windows.

Oh for Christ F*&$ing sakes. You *&*$^ing people are unreal sometimes.
I might have thought the same thing before I recently stayed in a motel where the carpet in the room was recently installed. The odor was so bad, even with the window open all night. I was glad I only had to stay one night there.

Magic Pixie Dust?
Why not just stick a box fan in the window and suck the smell out that way?
Tony
On 18 Aug 2004 17:42:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@oaklandsyda.org (mike) wrote:

You should use good ventilation to the outside, and, if you want, an air cleaner that traps volatile chemicals (the outgassing is somewhat toxic).
Don't add baking soda. It acts as an abrasive, and what you can't get out will eventually wear on the base of the carpet fibres. ------------------------------------------
On 18 Aug 2004 17:42:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@oaklandsyda.org (mike) wrote:

Why not just paint the carpet with a good oil type of floor enamel. That will not only remove odors, but will also make it look fresh and new again.