Possessed smoke alarm

I have a smoke detector that's been beeping occasionally. It will beep about once a minute for up to an hour, then settle down for a few days. Ordinarily I'd think it wants a new battery, but this kind is wired into the house and doesn't use batteries. It tests fine when I push the test button. What do I do to shut it up (both short-term and long- term)?

Reply to
Sagittaria

fly in the ointment

Call Mike Sabowitz, he's good at chasing spooks out of smoke detectors

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Stop smoking?

Reply to
Bruno

Yolu have cleaned it?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ounce of number eights from a twelve gage.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Give it a new backup battery. It won't quit if you just ignore it; I had one beep for two months before I got a tall enough ladder to change it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Shafer

Don't you mean "Mike Slivovitz"??

Reply to
Frank Olson

I agree. Most do have battery backups. If not, junk it.

Reply to
Generic Male Homosapien

Frank Olson wrote

He meant Mike Halfowitz. js

Reply to
fly in the ointment

That only works with little boy demons.

Reply to
mark Ransley

We had the same problem with a new house and new detectors. We changed out the backup batteries even though the F.D. was hard wired into the house. It ended up being defective F.D.'s. Luckily they were still covered under our house warranty and were replaced by the builder.

I would change out the old batteries and replace with brand new ones. If it starts beeping after a short time, say several weeks to a few months, time to replace the detectors.

Reply to
txoutdoors

Dust contamination can cause this; follow maintenance advice in user manual.eg give a good vacuum to extract dust' point nozzle at opening on front or side; not the small one at front of some makes eg Kidde a this is just for alarm horn.

Dust contamination causes alarms to become oversensitive.

Has there been a power surge? No manuals; some Uk ones are on this web site; same as US except for voltage being 230V; same maintenance.

Reply to
Gel