Possessed smoke alarm

I have a smoke detector that's been beeping occasionally. It will beep about once a minute for up to an hour, then settle down for a few days. Ordinarily I'd think it wants a new battery, but this kind is wired into the house and doesn't use batteries. It tests fine when I push the test button. What do I do to shut it up (both short-term and long- term)?
--
---->Sagittaria<----

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who
If it's a newer detector, even hardwired, it may have a battery for backup. If not, replace the detector. js

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 09:04:16 -0800, "fly in the ointment"

I agree. Most do have battery backups. If not, junk it.

Call Mike Sabowitz, he's good at chasing spooks out of smoke detectors

Don't you mean "Mike Slivovitz"??
Frank Olson wrote

He meant Mike Halfowitz. js

Stop smoking?

Yolu have cleaned it?
Ounce of number eights from a twelve gage.
--
Christopher a. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Give it a new backup battery. It won't quit if you just ignore it; I had one beep for two months before I got a tall enough ladder to change it.
Mary
snipped-for-privacy@qnet.com
"J. Sloud" wrote:

That only works with little boy demons.

We had the same problem with a new house and new detectors. We changed out the backup batteries even though the F.D. was hard wired into the house. It ended up being defective F.D.'s. Luckily they were still covered under our house warranty and were replaced by the builder.
I would change out the old batteries and replace with brand new ones. If it starts beeping after a short time, say several weeks to a few months, time to replace the detectors.
Dust contamination can cause this; follow maintenance advice in user manual.eg give a good vacuum to extract dust' point nozzle at opening on front or side; not the small one at front of some makes eg Kidde a this is just for alarm horn.
Dust contamination causes alarms to become oversensitive.
Has there been a power surge? No manuals; some Uk ones are on this web site; same as US except for voltage being 230V; same maintenance.