Pool table recover

Page 2 of 2

Steve B wrote:

If they were commercial tables you can dance on them with no harm. They are built to take the abuse. Sounds like some bunch of idiots if they don't even level a pool table after installing it. Sounds like you didn't care either. Like with many new products with wood and bolts, they are going to need maintenance. Even if it was only used by some little old lady from Pasadena, the rails with need tightening.

Depends on the model. Irving Kaye was known for very high quality tables, but to stay competitive most all manufactures built some cheaper low quality stuff also.
Nice looking tables, don't know if they were any

I thought you said you weren't going to say that?

In Steve's defense, the company probably didn't want anybody that wasn't qualified to maintain the tables. At least he told them about it. Some employees wouldn't do that much.
Hank
?Sounds like some bunch of idiots if they

Where did it say that?
?Sounds like you

You're either psychic or psychotic. If psychic, tell me what I'm thinking of you right now. Go put in an app with NSA, and you can make some big bucks. If you're psychotic, just keep taking your meds.
?Like with many new products with wood and bolts,

They serviced the tables, and split the money. I never saw a loose rail. When I hire someone to do something, I don't stand there and watch them. That's called micromanaging, and a bad management technique. When we had a stuck ball, they'd be right over to get it loose. Tell me someone doesn't care when an income stream is interrupted. Wait, you already did. Sorry.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

You wrote "I don't recall our supplier ever leveling it after the install."
What exactly did that mean?

You wrote "Never ever tightened the rails, tho. Told them if they were loose and they did it."
That sounded as if a customer complained the rails were loose and they were told "Told them if they were loose and they did it." What did you mean?

Oh definitely Psychotic! OK, I'll start taking the meds again. ???
(not sure who needs the meds?)

Keyword:after.
They serviced it, and saw it often enough. Never saw a loose rail, so they either didn't loosen, or they tightened them on servicing.

Reread when you're sober.

Is there some meds that help with reading comprehension, common sense, or just taking statements with a grain of salt and not being so picky about syntax?
Steve
Steve B wrote:

OK, I get it. Still when I was in the business the tables were checked for level at least every time they were recovered, normally more often. We even kept a little vacuum cleaner like the little plastic *Dirt Devil* in the truck. When collecting the money the felt also got vacuumed every week or two. Besides cleaning the top, it also cuts down on chalk buildup under the felt that can effect game play.

It's worse than you think, I'm like this without alcohol or other mind altering drugs.

I suppose I was so picky because I was also very picky about the upkeep of the coin-op equipment I owned, and also just as picky for the equipment I serviced full time for a different coin-op operator.

It isn't that hard to do. But it may be a little time consuming if you've never done it. If it is 3 piece slate, fill the seams with either bees wax (prefered) or some type of plaster of paris.
Start by setting up the frame and leveling. Then install the slate and re-level by placing shims (usually matchbook covers or the like between the slate and frame). Let it stand a day or two to settle into the carpet, if you have carpet (if you have the time). It will probably need leveled again after everything is installed tho. So no big deal.
Install the bed cloth from end to end first. Then the sides, then cut and fit the pockets. Don't stretch too tight, but firm. The tighter you stretch it, the faster it will play.
Install the rail cloth. Most home tables have pieces of wood that hold the top of the rail cloth. Be carefull not to break these. They are not expensive, just a pain in the ass to get them. Usually pulling the cloth up will release them. If it don't have the wood strips, them both the top and bottom rail cloth is stapled. Wrapping the corners of the rails are where it gets tricky. Take your time. A good installer will be able to wrap the side pocket corners rather than fold them. So, if you decide to hire someone, ask them if they wrap the side pocket corners. Some of the less experienced only fold them over. Which is ok, but not quite as good.
There are many good brands of cloth. Simonis is the prefered cloth of pro's because it will allow the cue ball to spin more. But there are others that are almost as good. Don't buy too cheap tho.
If you decide to hire someone, call a FEW poolhalls and ask them for names. Just because they charge alot doesn't mean they are good at it. Again, they best will wrap the side pocket rails. The beginners will fold them. <~~~~key to hiring a pool table mechanic
If you have any questions, feel free to email me.
Hank <~~~not the best player, but won a few State and national tournaments.
It sounds as tho you will be one of the few that will get their money's worth out of a pool table. Most use it for a short period and then stack shit on it.
reply: People in my house know better than to put stuff on my pool table. I let others play with the same rules I learned by: you have to be as tall as a stick to play. Knock the ball off the table, and you're out for an hour. Second time, the day. No slam banging. Funny, after I show some of the kids the right way to do it, they just slow down by themselves seeing that aim is better than strength.
Steve
"Steve B" wrote in message

There are a couple of books available only on the internet called... "Pool Table Sales and Service" - Conway "Secrets to a Perfect Pool Table Recovering Job" - McCauley
Most of the pool players hang out at the following forum. Might want to ask there. http://forums.azbilliards.com
Billiard table cloth... http://www.poolfelt.com
Usenet... rec.sport.billiard

I watched a "pro" recover a snooker table and he repaired some flaws in the slate at the same time. It took less than half an hour to make the repairs and put a new felt on, replace the rails and re-level the table. It was fun to watch.