pool near tree?

I would like to place a dipping pool in the backyard...a small 9 year old oak tree is 7 feet from where the pool would end.Can I place some type of root barrier so the trre wouldn't desroy the pool? I don't mind dealing with the leaf drop and want to shade the back porch.
--
Hank

The only oak tree I ever lived with was a 100 yr old specimen at my parents' house 30 years ago, so my memory may be faulty, but I don't recall surface roots being any sort of problem. Maples....that's another story. Does your tree have roots close to the surface?

I was anticipating deep roots in the future that would crack the wall
--
Hank

Any tree will go towards water, sewers, pools, for example. I doubt that a barrier would work mother nature is pretty aggressive over time.
So what I would do is drill a 1.5 inch hole 5-10 feet deep beyond the dip line on the opposite side of the pool. Line it with pvc and put a sprinkler in the pipe. The pipe will water deep away from the pool and you should not have any problems.
Just a suggestion
<< I would like to place a dipping pool in the backyard...a small 9 year old oak tree is 7 feet from where the pool would end >>
Given the choice between pool and tree, common sense says the tree has far more lasting value to the property. I'd voter for moving the pool to some other location and/or buy a season ticket to the municipal pool for the rug rats. My nickels worth.
Cheers
Joe

One end of my pool is a few feet from an oak tree...an old one at that No problem whatsoever.
NEVER FORGET!!! http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0109/missing/files/toyen.amy.html
In alt.home.repair

I second that motion. I have a 50-80 year old live oak within 10' of my 20 year old pool and have no problems related to the tree at all.