Pool Auto-Chlorinator Maintenance...

I have a one year old Pentair "Rainbow 320" auto chlorinator. I noticed recently it doesn't seem to be dissolving the three inch chlorine tablets very well. I cleaned out the tablets and looked in the bottom and noticed a greasy brown film buildup of residue on the filter screen. Someone told me to soak it with "non-acetone" finger nail polish remover which I poured in there and swirled around but I can't get a brush down in there to clean it. Anybody got any suggestions?
Regards, Bill
Bill writes:

Many similar deposits are just calcium compounds that dissolve out quickly with pool acid. Immerse in a bucket of 10 pct HCl (1:3 dilution of common pool acid). Then get rid of the solution as pH control in your pool.
This assumes your apparatus is not attacked by the acid.