Pondering Drip Irrigation Setup

Hiya Folks, Wanted to ask the collective wisdom of the group about drip irrigation. There's no doubt I'll be doing it it's just a matter of how at this point. I've seen what appears to be the standard install which involves laying out a black plastic tube from a roll in your irrigated area and from that, run smaller tubes to emitters. I've put some of this in myself and hate it. The fittings (slide on compression type) come loose, leak, and dealing with the tube is a pain in the neck. I was thinking of running Sch. 40 PVC either on the ground or just below ground (pipe would be covered either way in mulch, prolly pea gravel) and using fittings like these,

(essentially a barbed fitting with 10-32 threads on the opposite end of the barb). It means I'd have to drill and tap holes in the PVC wherever I needed a drip line and I'd have to add a pressure regulator somewhere but neither of those things are show stoppers, I think. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this setup or reasons I shouldn't pursue it?

Thanks much, jlc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson