plywood, hardboard or else

Page 1 of 3
Hi I am trying to install dryer vent. I am going to mount the vent cap on basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture
http://images.houseofhepworths.com/2012/03/12dryer_vent_window/dryer_vent_2_hoh_6.jpg
my question: is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up.
thank you so much.

http://images.houseofhepworths.com/2012/03/12dryer_vent_window/dryer_vent_2_hoh_6.jpg

I was installing two air vents with glass block today, in a cinderblock wall. I wanted extra support, I used 2x8 treated lumber. I spray painted it before I mounted it with Pl Premium.
Greg
On Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:31:50 PM UTC-4, Gz wrote:

thanks Greg, the board should not be thick otherwise it want fit in the window. basically the wood will be act as one window slash so i have to slide it in. does the treated lumber comes as a thin sheet like plywood (around 1 cm in thinness)
leza wang wrote:

window. basically the wood will be act as one window slash so i have to slide it in. does the treated lumber comes as a thin sheet like plywood (around 1 cm in thinness)

Hi, PT board like 1x6 one is around. If it is still too thick, how about planing? Also cold winter weather has to be considered.
On Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:59:23 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

window. basically the wood will be act as one window slash so i have to slide ith in. does the treated lumber comes as a thin sheet like plywood (around 1 cm in thinness)

thank you for your reply .. what is pt board? what do you mean by "planning"? yes cold/snow weather should be considered as well. thank you so much.
leza wang wrote:

window. basically the wood will be act as one window slash so i have to slide ith in. does the treated lumber comes as a thin sheet like plywood (around 1 cm in thinness)

Hi, PT = pressure treated. You can make board thinner using plane. Spend some time at HD, Lowes, Rona browsing around. You will be able to pick up an idea.
Leza,
Planing is done with a plane. It's a way of removing wood from a board. Planning is never done with home projects.
Dave M.

window. basically the wood will be act as one window slash so i have to slide it in. does the treated lumber comes as a thin sheet like plywood (around 1 cm in thinness)

Nobody will thank you for using their plane on pressure treated wood.

HDPE. Nothing will chew it, it won't rot, split or warp. Or use Lexan and you still have a window.
On 6/22/2013 8:23 PM, leza wang wrote:

basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

http://images.houseofhepworths.com/2012/03/12dryer_vent_window/dryer_vent_2_hoh_6.jpg

If you are concerned about a raccoon getting in, you sure don't want to use a cheap plastic or aluminum vent. A raccoon can weigh 40 lbs and are as strong as you are! If they want in the vent is the easiest route.
Steel vents are made for supplying combustion air to wood burning stoves, but they have screens and are made for air coming in. I don't know if there are versions for exhaust air.
Paul
On Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:43:25 PM UTC-4, Paul Drahn wrote:

basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

thanks Paul, i would love the idea to use a metal, not sure if home depo cut metal? i live in Toronto, Ontario. so any idea where i should go to get a metal piece? thanks once again
On 6/22/2013 8:53 PM, leza wang wrote:

basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

metal? i live in Toronto, Ontario. so any idea where i should go to get a metal piece? thanks once again This is similar to what I used:
http://www.airconditionerguard.com/dryer-vents.html
Do a Google search on "steel dryer vents" and look at what is available. I don't know what prices and availability are.
Paul
On 6/22/2013 11:43 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:

To elaborate further, a raccoon can also shred apart wood in a matter of minutes. If they really want in, not much of any wood will stop them. Since the OP is using a thin piece, that won't stop a raccoon.

Why does this raccoon want it at all. I've only had a raccoon once, that I know about. He was going through the outside garbage can. When I took flash pictures of him, it didn't seem to bother him a bit. But he did leave a few seconds later.
He never tried to get inside afaik, and I leave my basement window open all summer, except for a vinyl window screen, Well, it's open 5" x 5", but I think that is enough for a raccoon if he wanted in.
On 6/23/2013 9:03 AM, micky wrote:

I agree. If there's a reason he wants in, that problem needs to be resolved.
The OP indicated concerns about the Raccoon, therefore, I thought it best she realize a Raccoon can get through that wood if it really wanted to.
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 20:43:25 -0700, Paul Drahn

basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

They will work both ways - at least the ones I've seen - but they don't have a damper so air will find it's way out by itself as well.
On Saturday, June 22, 2013 10:23:59 PM UTC-5, leza wang wrote:

basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture h ttp://images.houseofhepworths.com/2012/03/12dryer_vent_window/dryer_vent_2_ hoh_6.jpg my question: is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up. thank you so much.
Leeza, What happened to the vent that you showed in a picture in an earlier post? You could replace that with an aluminimum vent, and then connect that to t he pipe that you are connecting to the back of your dryer. I have a 90 deg ree adapter that goes on the back of my dryer to convert the horizontal out put of the dryer to vertical output, then the aluminimum flexible pipe goes up and makes gradual bend to horizontal and then it connects to the pipe/v ent that goes through the wall. Your earlier picture seemed to show a vent pipe coming through the wall.
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 21:22:11 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture
http://images.houseofhepworths.com/2012/03/12dryer_vent_window/dryer_vent_2_hoh_6.jpg
my question: is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up. thank you so much.

My question too.

pipe that you are connecting to the back of your dryer. I have a 90 degree adapter that goes on the back of my dryer to convert the horizontal output of the dryer to vertical output, then the aluminimum flexible pipe goes up and makes gradual bend to horizontal and then it connects to the pipe/vent that goes through the wall. Your earlier picture seemed to show a vent pipe coming through the wall.
What became of the grey box that the current vent is connected to. The far side was the laundry/furnace room. So why can't the far side be connectred to the dryer? That pipe didn't look like a furnace chimney or a dryer combustion air exhaust, so wasn't it for the dryer warm air exhaust?
pt means pressure treated.
Before you close off the glass window with plywood or something, is there any other source of natural light in that room? When the bulb burns out or there is a power failure, it's nice to have the light of the window.

And pressre treated means treated with liquid under pressure so it seems as far into the wood as possible and keeps it from rotting in wet weather. Used for decks, etc . I think my fence posts are pt and probably my original rails, but my pickets and new rails are not.
On Sunday, June 23, 2013 12:59:03 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

on basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a pi ece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this pictur e http://images.houseofhepworths.com/2012/03/12dryer_vent_window/dryer_vent _2_hoh_6.jpg my question: is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up. thank you so much.

t?

o the pipe that you are connecting to the back of your dryer. I have a 90 degree adapter that goes on the back of my dryer to convert the horizontal output of the dryer to vertical output, then the aluminimum flexible pipe g oes up and makes gradual bend to horizontal and then it connects to the pip e/vent that goes through the wall. Your earlier picture seemed to show a v ent pipe coming through the wall.

i agree, it is not good idea to close off the window. that pipe is for a fa n in the wall in that laundry area. i might use it for the dryer vent. i re ally think it is good idea and will save me a lot of work. what you guys th ink? and thanks once again