Plumbing help

Can vent pipes have elbows or do they have to go straight up through the roof??? Thanks for any help....
on 10/5/2007 8:11 PM benick said the following:

They can go any which way you can think of, as long as they don't have bends that will hold water (like a P trap) to close off the air exhaust.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

yes

Thanks for the replies..The job just got easier....lol

Further. To avoid several holes in our roof (kitchen, bathroom, main stack etc.) we took all our vents through the attic to one place (the main vent stack) and joined them all together for one vent through the roof. The kitchen for example is some 20+ feet from the main stack vent. Been that way since 1970, no problems. Everything vents as it should.

This might or might not meet code in some areas. Here in central Ohio USA I think it does, but I think in some areas it may not. Regardless there is probably some limit to how many fixtures (sinks, tubs, toilets) that can go thru one vent.

In this area it would'nt has we won't allow more than 2 45s at most to a stack and 3 toilets least it is 6 inch Remember that no toilet should be more than 5 feet from the stack as this is physics of water not some code. Also if doing sinks after 10 ft they should be done in 2 inch as better flow is achieved. And after 12 feet a secondery vent is required just makes for better flow and drainage.
All plumbing whether going down (sanitary sewer) or up (venting) can make turns and joints. The fittings must all be sanitary fittings, not pressure fittings that make sweeping turns that solids and sewer cables can maneuver.
A very old method of inspection was to drop a ball into the piping to see if it would come out on the down hill end. I've not ever seen it, it may be a myth, but the concept is accurate.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
on 10/6/2007 7:56 AM DanG said the following:

What if the ball didn't come out?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY