Plexiglas

Well a lot of companies (at least online) sell plexiglass in 4x8 sheets and then fractional sheets... so half a sheet (4x4) should work for the OP

Reply to
blueman

Must be a regional thing. My HD has it, in the window glass section. Did you ask if they had any?

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

:I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't :able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.

In case you didn't know, an FYI... cutting plexiglass and similar materials can be rather problematic.

Dan

Dan Musicant Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Reply to
man

What are you talking about? Plexiglass cuts easily with a saw.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Plexi is very easy to work with. There are saw blades made especially for cutting it, but I have also cut it plenty of times using the wrong blades.

There are also drill bits specifically for plastics that make like easier.

Just as wood and metal require special blades and bits, so does plexi.

Reply to
salty

Chuck wrote in news:h45mpq$itf$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

With all the replies did no one suggest a glass shop?!

Reply to
Red Green

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9C53EDE95A78CRedGreen@216.168.3.70:

I saw it suggested, forget who.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

I finally found some plexiglas at HD. Cost about $20. I did check a picture frame store and they wanted over $60 for a small piece that was treated for UV. Thanks to all for the help. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

:In article , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote: :>On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:27:11 -0400, Chuck wrote: :>

:>:I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't :>:able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B. :>

:>In case you didn't know, an FYI... cutting plexiglass and similar :>materials can be rather problematic. : :What are you talking about? Plexiglass cuts easily with a saw.

In my experience not easily. The blade heats up from the friction and melts the plexi and the blade jams in the work.

:On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:26:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote: : :>On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:27:11 -0400, Chuck wrote: :>

:>:I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't :>:able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B. :>

:>In case you didn't know, an FYI... cutting plexiglass and similar :>materials can be rather problematic. :>

:>Dan :>

:>

:>Dan Musicant :>Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net : :Plexi is very easy to work with. There are saw blades made especially :for cutting it, but I have also cut it plenty of times using the wrong :blades. : :There are also drill bits specifically for plastics that make like :easier. : :Just as wood and metal require special blades and bits, so does plexi.

Never seen a special plexi blade. Is this for a jigsaw?

Dan Musicant Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Reply to
man

There are plastics blades for jig saws, table saws, band saws...

Makes a huge difference to use a blade specifically designed for the material you are cutting.

You can cut wood with a hacksaw designed for metal, but...

Reply to
salty

I don't cut plexiglass or lexan enough to need a special blade but if you sandwich it between wood scrap it cuts just fine with a combo blade on a table saw. A router does a good job too..

Reply to
gfretwell

I just got through cutting some five ft long pieces on my table saw. I used a fine tooth thin kerf blade and went real slow. It cut like butter. WEAR EYE PROTECTION BESIDES GLASSES. I throws a lot of little pieces around that can get behind your glasses. Not cool when you are feeding plexiglass into a table saw.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE