Plexiglas

Page 2 of 2
Doug Miller wrote:

From his subsequent post, the thinner stuff should do him.
Chuck wrote:

Must be a regional thing. My HD has it, in the window glass section. Did you ask if they had any?
MikeB
:I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't :able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B.
In case you didn't know, an FYI... cutting plexiglass and similar materials can be rather problematic.
Dan
Dan Musicant Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

What are you talking about? Plexiglass cuts easily with a saw.
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 01:35:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
:> :>:I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't :>:able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B. :> :>In case you didn't know, an FYI... cutting plexiglass and similar :>materials can be rather problematic. : :What are you talking about? Plexiglass cuts easily with a saw.
In my experience not easily. The blade heats up from the friction and melts the plexi and the blade jams in the work.
Dan Musicant Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
On Jul 24, 9:35pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I just got through cutting some five ft long pieces on my table saw. I used a fine tooth thin kerf blade and went real slow. It cut like butter. WEAR EYE PROTECTION BESIDES GLASSES. I throws a lot of little pieces around that can get behind your glasses. Not cool when you are feeding plexiglass into a table saw.
Jimmie
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:26:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Plexi is very easy to work with. There are saw blades made especially for cutting it, but I have also cut it plenty of times using the wrong blades.
There are also drill bits specifically for plastics that make like easier.
Just as wood and metal require special blades and bits, so does plexi.
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 06:50:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:
:On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:26:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote: :
:> :>:I need to buy a 3' sq piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I tried HD but wasn't :>:able to find it. Any ideas? TIA Chuck B. :> :>In case you didn't know, an FYI... cutting plexiglass and similar :>materials can be rather problematic. :> :>Dan :> :> :>Dan Musicant :>Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net : :Plexi is very easy to work with. There are saw blades made especially :for cutting it, but I have also cut it plenty of times using the wrong :blades. : :There are also drill bits specifically for plastics that make like :easier. : :Just as wood and metal require special blades and bits, so does plexi.
Never seen a special plexi blade. Is this for a jigsaw?
Dan Musicant Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 07:26:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

There are plastics blades for jig saws, table saws, band saws...
http://www.carbidespecialties.com/plastics_blades.htm
http://www.toolbarn.com/product/bosch/T101A /
Makes a huge difference to use a blade specifically designed for the material you are cutting.
You can cut wood with a hacksaw designed for metal, but...
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:39:49 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I don't cut plexiglass or lexan enough to need a special blade but if you sandwich it between wood scrap it cuts just fine with a combo blade on a table saw. A router does a good job too..
september.org:

With all the replies did no one suggest a glass shop?!

I saw it suggested, forget who.
Red Green wrote:

I finally found some plexiglas at HD. Cost about $20. I did check a picture frame store and they wanted over $60 for a small piece that was treated for UV. Thanks to all for the help. Chuck